Where to scuba in the caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My two friends and I are going on a dive trip to the Caribbean in the winter. We are recently certified and would like to know where the best place to dive would be for beginner divers. We are already going to Grand Cayman soon so we do not want to go there again. We are looking for a location that is affordable, safe, and easy for beginners (aka no strong currents and extreme conditions). The more visibility the better and somewhere where you do not need much suiting. There are so many places and possibilities I have no idea where to start! Please help!

I'd say to consider Roatan. No drift dibing. Diving is guided which can be a plus for beginners. High quality dive masters and mature dive industry. Roatan is one of the largest concentrations of dive education in the Caribbean. If you stay on the west side you'll be doing all guided boat dives, if you stay on the south side at one of the dive centric resorts you'll have the opportunity to have guided boat dives mixed with unguided shore dives as you confidence increases. Roatan is just one of many places to start.

Another choice would be Bonaire. Very easy diving and you are on your own schedule. I really like Bonaire in the winter because it is so far south that it is still nice and warm but not overly hot and humid. Some of the very best times to dive Bonaire is December, January, and February. We would always go January or February and the weather was perfect.

I'd say to consider Roatan. No drift dibing. Diving is guided which can be a plus for beginners. High quality dive masters and mature dive industry. Roatan is one of the largest concentrations of dive education in the Caribbean. If you stay on the west side you'll be doing all guided boat dives, if you stay on the south side at one of the dive centric resorts you'll have the opportunity to have guided boat dives mixed with unguided shore dives as you confidence increases. Roatan is just one of many places to start.

Have they installed a bunch of moorings around Roatan in recent years? When we went (which admittedly was about 10 years ago), there were no moorings, and all the diving was drift diving. I don't disagree with the suggestion of trying Roatan though; it is easy diving and there is generally plenty to see.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

My first dives following certification were in the Bahamas on San Salvador (Watling) Island through the Riding Rock Inn. Boat dives, 3 a day, and was AI. That was too many years ago, but check it out. There have been some trip reports posted about them over the years, and some within the last one or two.....

Have they installed a bunch of moorings around Roatan in recent years? When we went (which admittedly was about 10 years ago), there were no moorings, and all the diving was drift diving. I don't disagree with the suggestion of trying Roatan though; it is easy diving and there is generally plenty to see.
Yes, all the dive sites (at least the ones around the west end) have mooring lines now. Our dive op however still chose to do the odd drift dive, despite existence of a mooring line. There wasn't much drifting involved though... no noticeable current, the group just surfaced elsewhere and the boat followed them. No big deal at all.

I have close to 200 logged dives at Sandals resorts in Jamaica. Mostly Sandals Montego Bay. It is a couples only, adults only super all-inclusive. If you are certified, there are 2 boat dives daily that are FREE. The dive team is super experienced and very helpful. Many guests get certified while there. Water temp is low 80's even at depth. I dive in a rash guard. Vis is great and the reef has been coming back. Lots of small fish, and an increase in turtles the past few years.

I would (do) go to Bonaire. Tons of great shore diving, safe, english speaking and can be very inexpensive. I stay at Coco Palm Garden (Bonaire budget vacation accommodation - scuba diving - windsurfing). Each apartment has a full kitchen, bath, etc. On Tues & Thurs they have a local resturant provide a $10 buffet. I let them arrainge the truck and unlimited air because they always beat whatever price I can find on my own. You can't go wrong - dive, eat, sleep, repeat - all on your own schedule. Coco Palm allows me to stay two weeks for the cost of one week at one of the resorts.

A trick I learned on Bonaire (after flubbing around on severtal shore entries). Watch the waves and count. Usually there will be a pattern of increasing wave height with several much smaller waves following the largest. Once you figure out the pattern you wait for the largest and then enter as it's receeding. Quickly go out far enough to float (chest high) and put your fins on.

One final tip. Get Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy (Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, BSDME, Author Susan Porter) and look it over to decide what sites you most want to dive. I would recommend Yellow Submarine and Tori's Reef as having the easiest entry/exit and Angel City for the double reef. I'm going again this November and I've already got my first 6 days of dives planned (surface interval activity included).

Don't discount Cozumel just because it is all drift diving. Once you learn not to fight the current, drift diving is the easiest, most relaxing diving you can do. You go over the side of the boat and descend in a group with your Dive Master, stay behind him, and just ride the current through the whole dive. When the whole group comes to the surface, the boat is there to meet you. And most dives on Cozumel are quite adapted to beginner divers. The only really strong currents are at the Northern reefs - Barracuda - and occasionaly Tormentos and Tunich, but Dive Ops will not take beginner divers North, and if they know you are a beginner, they won't take you to Tormentos or Tunich when the current is ripping. And the visibility on the reefs at Cozumel is incredible - precisely because of the constant current. And for good value, Cozumel just can't be matched. If you've been diving on Grand Cayman, you'll think that diving (and staying, and eating) on Cozumel is an incredible bargain. Two-tank dives are $55-$75 on Cozumel, depending on Dive Operator and multi-day discounts, compared to over $100 on Grand Cayman. And you can get gourmet meals at restaurants like Kinte, Kondessa, La Cocay, and others for $40 per person (compared to over $100 per person on Grand Cayman), or you can go adventurous, and get great Yucatan food at locally owned Loncherias or Taquerias and eat well for $25 a day (breakfast lunch AND dinner). I've been certified since 1989, and going to Cozumel 2 or 3 times a year for over 23 years; it is by far my favorite dive destination in the Caribbean.

Back
Top Bottom