Where to stay in Santa Monica/Venice Beach, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bratface

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am going to Fiji in May and will be staying the night before the trip to avoid any delays that could make me miss my flight. I don't want to go into LA. I've been there and want to avoid the crowds and traffic.

Can anybody recommend a nice hotel in Santa Monica or Venice Beach? I am a female traveling alone and will need a safe location preferable within walking distance of restaurants, etc.

Thanks for your help.

The Holiday Inn in Santa Monica is actually very good. You can see the pier and walk around to retaurants, boutiques etc. I did not actually stay there, but my BF did and he had a very nice experience.

If your layover is at LAX, there are so many hotels and restaraunts right there I wouldnt even worry about it.

One of my favorites that I stay in when I'm there is:
Best Western Ocean View Hotel
1447 Ocean Avenue
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Very resonable rates, and its just short walk across the steet
to Santa Monica Pier. or a few blocks the other direction
to the 3rd/4th street promenade where all the restaurants are.

In fact, my wife and I stayed there 2 nights just before going on to our
honeymoon in Fiji back in may 2001. We had like a 11:00pm flight
out of LAX. We stayed a couple of days there just to break up the
trip and relax before the LONG flight.

If you are on the late night flight, you'll get there really early in the
morning and everything will be closed.
You may want to get a day room when you get there.
I can't remember the hotel name but its close to the Nadi Airport and
well known. Its a cool little place with lots of nice gardens. Its only
like $25/$30 bucks and well worth it.

--- bill

--- bill

How Nice? There's Shutters in Santa Monica:

http://www.shuttersonthebeach.com/home.html

There's also the Embassy Suites at LAX. It's actually in El Segundo, just south of the airport. But you'd have to take a cab to a restaurant nearby for food. There's an Olive Garden and a couple other typical restaurants in the area. If you stay there get a room on the southside or the cargo jets leaving will wake you at night.
http://www.embassysuites.com/en/es/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=LAXESES

Marina Del Ray might be another option. It's definitely safe there. 5mi north of LAX on the water. There's a Marriot, a Holiday Inn, The Ritz-Carlton - you did say nice - and some pretty good restaurants within walking distance all along the harbor.

Another option if you are willing to stay near the airport is the Hilton Garden Inn at El Segundo. Great price, very friendly service (free cookies, good breakfast) - and I think that the metro stops beside the hotel. If not, there is a regular shuttle service. I think they also have a special rate with late checkout for those catching late night flights to the Asia-Pacific area (it might be called a Kangaroo Rate).

Thanks everybody for the information. We are on that late night flight, so I didn't want to sit around the airport longer than necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom