Where Would You Go Diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trevormclay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone, I graduate University in August and looking to take a trip for 2 weeks of diving in Indonesia (not sure where) in September. I have about $2500 CAD (2000US) to spend not including flight. Ive been looking at doing 9 days in Komodo with Scuba Junkies diving as well as 4 days of diving in Bali. I have a passion for underwater photography but currently only have 1 strobe and 1 video light using my Sony RX100M2. I love macro subjects as my setup would allow me to get higher quality images. My brother and mom went to Wakatobi last July and loved it however it would be over my budget.

SOOOO my question is if you had 2000US to spend on diving where would you go ? Id like to get 10-12 days of diving in (at least 30-35 dives) I have 1500US set aside for the flight so it doesn't have to be included in the 2000US budget.

I have 51 dives currently with 10-15 planned this summer so projected 61-66 dives by end of August.

I don't care to much for a really nice beach as id rather spend my time diving. As well food quality/bed quality aren't that important to me as I've spent many nights in hostels of 15+ people.

Ive looked into Raja Ampat, Lembah, Bali
Id love a location where there is a decent house reef to get even more dives in (a friend will be coming with so i have a built in buddy)

Thanks everyone, looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions.

North Sulawesi - Lembeh for critters, Bangka for Sauhong Pinnacles, and throw in Bunaken if you like walls.

North Sulawesi - Lembeh for critters, Bangka for Sauhong Pinnacles, and throw in Bunaken if you like walls.
Are you suggesting all three places in the same trip ? if so (lets eliminate bunaken for simplicity sake) So if I was to go to Lembeh and Bangka how would you recommend splitting that up time wise?

Yes its easily done - Murex actually offer a package with all three destinations in one trip http://murexdive.com/passport-to-paradise/

Ive done various combinations making my own arrangements with different ops in all three destinations without any bother at all. - each destination has its own highlights. Muck diving in Lembeh is fantastic and I can recommend Froggies as a budget alternative who also have a op on Bunaken. Personally I would split 12 days 6 and Bangka and 6 at Lembeh if you wanted to eliminate Bunaken and on your off gas day go for a hike through Tangkoko national park to see tarsiers. There is a budget op Nomad Divers on Bangka but I do not have any experience with them they seem to get good reviews. At the other end of the spectrum Coral Eye is lovely although a bit pricier.

Your original idea of Komodo with SJ and then to Bali, will give you some really great diving. Komodo has some of the best diving in Indonesia. If you fly into DPS you can fly to LBJ from there pretty cheap. SJ in Komodo is a pretty affordable way to dive Komodo, and give you a good chance at diving the South of the park which has some epic sites. I was diving with SJ for 12 days this January and loved it. SJ has dorm rooms, open air bures, and private rooms for choices. Komodo is going to have a great combo of big stuff and small stuff so you can get some practice shooting both wide and macro. This option is probably the most expensive of all these choices, but may bring some great rewards. You can dive Komodo for a bit less $ if you stay in LBJ but you'll probably be limited to diving the North and Central region which is great but the South is the best in my opinion.

There is also Wingy's recommendation of combining Bunaken-Lembeh-Bangka. Also a good choice. You can fly into Jakarta and then to Manado from there. Flights into Jakarta tend to be cheaper than into Bali. Bunaken is going to give you nice walls, loads of turtles, and nice reefs. Lembeh is all about great macro critters, good buoyancy and finning skills are key here to avoid kicking up the muck ruining your and other photographers photo ops. I've used Two Fish there 4x's and they are a great budget operation. They also have an operation on Bunaken, so you can easily combine the two. I've not dove Bangka but it rates high on peoples list. I might skip Bunaken and go with a Lembeh-Bangka option if you can afford Bangka.

The cheapest option might be to fly into Bali and stick with it only, combining Lembongan with Tulamben. This way you have no extra flight expense or time taken up. Lembongan is going to give you Manta's, a chance at Mola Mola, and drifting nice reefs. The current can run fast there making macro photography a challenge. Then travel up to Tulamben for great Macro critters and some nice reef diving as well. Both Lembongan and Tulamben can be pretty affordable and in alot of the resorts in Tulamben you'll have your own private guide. I use Liberty dive Resort there and love it. It's pretty affordable and you get your own guide, free nitrox, and can make your own dive schedule. Topside Bali is also really beautiful and stunning in itself. You might leave a day or two to explore topside. Or at least take your time traveling from Lembongan to Tulamben enjoying some of the temples along the way.

Whatever you choice your going to experience some really great diving, Indonesia has some of the best diving this Earth has to offer. The only problem is it spoils you, and you end up wanting to go back time and time again. I'm a huge Indonesia junky, an it's always first in my consideration of dive locations.

SOOOO my question is if you had 2000US to spend on diving where would you go ? Id like to get 10-12 days of diving in (at least 30-35 dives) I have 1500US set aside for the flight so it doesn't have to be included in the 2000US budget.

If the goal was to prioritise dives per dollar, I would do Tulamben, Bali. Best value for money diving, especially if you're a macro photographer. The muck/macro diving around Tulamben is decent but 5-10 minutes by car away is Seraya, which is supposed to be a macro paradise. When I dived there, the photographers in my group spent 75 minutes taking photos of the little critters in a tiny 3mx3m patch of sand. We didn't really move much beyond that and Seraya beach is huge!

Liberty Dive Resort has already been recommended. I spent 10 days diving with Matahari Tulamben and spent less than US$1,000 for lodgings, dives and food. Matahari has a house reef straight out from its beach at a shallow depth (<10m) that has great hunting both day and night dives. Two other decent sites (Liberty Wreck and Drop Off) are 200-300m walk on either side of the resort.

Think about Padang Bai & Tulamben.

Agust is Mola mola season there is a site near Padang Bai that you may see them, and you can always take a day trip out to Nusa Penida from there to try Crystal Bay and Manta Point. P.B. also has a great pier dive and site that consistently has Rhinopias, nice place for macro. You can get a descent hotel for $30 or so per night and a 3 tank dive for around $90 (Nusa Pendida is more expensive).

Tulamben offers the Liberty wreck, Seraya's Secrets, great muck diving at many sites (frogfish, octopus, tons of nudis. tozuma shrimp, ghost pipefish...etc) and reef up a little farther north (turtles, white tip shark...etc). Someone already mentioned the Matahari, it's a great value for the money.

The Passport to Paradise dive holiday Wingy mentioned above is also a great package w/a variety of diving and dive sites.

Wherever you end up, enjoy your dive holiday.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments everyone. You have given me a lot to think about. I did previously think about staying around Bali only as it can provide a chance for big and small life. However I will continue to investigate. Bali would be the cheapest option ($ per diving). I know the diving in any of these places are outstanding I just don't know when I will be back and thats why I want to make the most informed decision. Im leaning towards Lembeh and Bangka OR staying in the Bali area. My brother is really interested in Komodo but he is booked solid with trips this year and next so I figured I can hold off Komodo and go with him!

Thanks everyone, please feel free to continue commenting Id love to have more thoughts and ideas and I know there are others like me out there that value your experience in these areas!

Ambon with Dive Blue Motion would be a possibility.
Very good Macro, at less than US $20 per dive by 10+, if not too far from the dive shop.
Accommodation nearby approx $ 15/night
lunch or dinner : not a lot of possibilities nearby, so an average of $2 per meal for me.

September in Ambon is very early in the season, besides that Blue Motion Ambon is way too oriented Macro/muck with no diving outside Ambon bay, while the sites in the south of the island and around Haruku/Molana/Nusa Laut are really worth. It's a pity going to Ambon and not going for those spectacular coral dives.

Other than that I wasn't very impressed with Blue Motion dive guides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom