Which is your favourite muck-dive destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

various members:
On my last trip to Lembeh we saw Frogfish on nearly every dive where as the last trip to Anilao I saw a half dozen or so on the entire trip
We just got back from Anilao and I was able to check off a few Nudi's that I have been searching for for years, but not too many Froggies.
Weird... end of march in Anilao, I had 6 HAIRY frogfish in one single dive north of Secret Bay, while.in Lembeh getting a hairy was always the bee's knee. Every photographer had to queue behind it.

In August in Anilao we saw only a few frogfish during our entire stay (over a week) and almost no octopus. Lucky Luko...

Recently I met somebody from Dauin and there they are very aware what to see during which time of the year. Of course I didn't take note .. But it would be very interesting (for me) if those seasons are similar in every dive region.. Have to ask them again..

I'm a little surprised not to see Sogod Bay (Leyte, the Philippines) mentioned yet. A lot of divers compare it favorably with Anilao, Dauin, Dumaguete etc but since it's a bit further south it also has more likelihood of encounters with critters one thinks of as being Indonesian, rather than Filipino.

Only a couple of muck diving sites but each is worth spending many hours at.

Whale sharks are common in the right season, and there are a few really good reef dives too. About 3 or 4 hours by van from Tacloban so it's not crowded at all. Been there twice and might go back some day.

Critters I saw included list of flamboyant cuttlefish, lots of blue ring octopus, lots of frogfishes (including hairy ones at one site across the bay), lots of ornate ghost pipefish, lots of Coleman's shrimp, striped bumblebee shrimp, nudibranchs of all sorts, miscellaneous seahorses, etc etc … I didn't see the mimic octopus or the wonderpuses my friends saw, but hey, something to look forward to next time.

Puerto Galera is outstanding for Macro Life, The dive sites around the Secret Bay area are excellent for muck diving. Not many people have been diving in the muck off White beach and it is superb.

I should have searched for this thread & read the posts before posting similar question here: Where do you muck dive?

I do like Lembeh, Secret Bay (Bali), Blue Heron Bridge (Florida), night dive in Pink Beach (Komodo), night dive in Arborek Jetty (Raja Ampat) & night dive in Raja4 Divers house reef (also called Karang Sembilan, Pulau Pef, Raja Ampat). Karang Sembilan means 9 rocks. So, my favorite muck diving destinations would be night diving in those shallow water (beaches) dive sites.

I'm going to Ambon next year. Yes!

I'll add Anilao (Philippines) to my bucket list. Thanks!

Last edited:
I also really really loved Sogod Bay , but have just heard that there is a new fast ferry service from Cebu to Maasin in Southern Leyte....this will take just two hours. SBSR have announced this on their FB page.

I combined it with. Anda in Bohol in February , it was very quick and easy to get a public Bangka across. I Also went to Anilao which was fabulous.

I'm a little surprised not to see Sogod Bay (Leyte, the Philippines) mentioned yet. A lot of divers compare it favorably with Anilao, Dauin, Dumaguete etc but since it's a bit further south it also has more likelihood of encounters with critters one thinks of as being Indonesian, rather than Filipino.

Only a couple of muck diving sites but each is worth spending many hours at.

Whale sharks are common in the right season, and there are a few really good reef dives too. About 3 or 4 hours by van from Tacloban so it's not crowded at all. Been there twice and might go back some day.

Critters I saw included list of flamboyant cuttlefish, lots of blue ring octopus, lots of frogfishes (including hairy ones at one site across the bay), lots of ornate ghost pipefish, lots of Coleman's shrimp, striped bumblebee shrimp, nudibranchs of all sorts, miscellaneous seahorses, etc etc … I didn't see the mimic octopus or the wonderpuses my friends saw, but hey, something to look forward to next time.
also

Hi Dan, thanks for the link - I am thinking to dive in Blue Heron Bridge (Florida). I left a comment in the thread that you attached.

For Southeast Asia muck diving, I have been doing muck in Lembeh, Bali, Dauin and Ambon. I stayed at dive resorts that friendly to UW photographers in Lembeh and Ambon. I am sure there are UW photographer friendly resorts as well in Bali and Dauin. Personally, I think a good and experienced dive guide/master is crucial when going for muck diving. Without their help, it would be tough to find specific critters.

I was super happy with our dive guides/masters from the resorts where I stayed in Bangka, Dauin and Lembeh. If I ever return there, I will look for them :)

Hi Dan, thanks for the link - I am thinking to dive in Blue Heron Bridge (Florida). I left a comment in the thread that you attached.

For Southeast Asia muck diving, I have been doing muck in Lembeh, Bali, Dauin and Ambon. I stayed at dive resorts that friendly to UW photographers in Lembeh and Ambon. I am sure there are UW photographer friendly resorts as well in Bali and Dauin. Personally, I think a good and experienced dive guide/master is crucial when going for muck diving. Without their help, it would be tough to find specific critters.

I was super happy with our dive guides/masters from the resorts where I stayed in Bangka, Dauin and Lembeh. If I ever return there, I will look for them :)

Hi indiedive, kelemvor has pretty much answer your question on the other thread. I went with Force-E, which is 5 min drive to the other end of the bridge.

Enjoy your muck diving!

lots of great suggestions here. Dived Lembeh and Dauin and prefer Dauin as it feels like a second home. i've been 5 times in a resort and several times by liveaboard (working) and unfortunately i got sick in lembeh so missed several dives which perhaps gives me a limited view. I know its a fabled critter hotspot but my experience there was not outstanding - guess i need to go back sometime and try again. Sogod Bay is also good for sites like the Pier but my 6 month experience there would not put it top of the list.
Tulamben is fabulous and Southern Komodo around Nusa Kode roks for critter hunting - dive sites like Torpedo Alley, Boulders and Cannibal Rock offer a wide variety of froggies, nudis, shrimps and the tiny "lady bugs". Its Ambon next month for me and then Alor planned for Nov 2017 both by liveaboard as i also like the bigger stuff.
Romblon is on the list but agree its hard to get to compared with other Philippines areas. Another place not mentioned is Anda - on Bohol island. Not really "muck" but loads of great critters like blue rings, mimics, pygmy seahorses, shrimps. Could be an option if you;re looking for somewhere less dived?

I heard about Anda on Bohol, thank you nudisusie. Have been in Cabilao last year which is on the south-west-side of Bohol so I had the idea that the diving could be similar. Please correct me if I'm mistaken. We had some fantastic critters while diving around Cabilao but i didn't fall in love the place. Dauin is definitely on my list and also South Komodo. Will be in Alor soon so I can compare those divesites with the ones I already know. They just found the Psychedelic frogfish in Ambon again after a loooong time. Keep my fingers crossed that it will still be there next month for you :thumb:..

Back
Top Bottom