Which size SPGs for sidemount? 1.5", 2", or 2.5"

Which size SPGs for sidemount? 1.5", 2", or 2.5"

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1.5 is better but i cant find a tempered glass one so i ended up buying medium size from DGE. Its 1.75 i think.

There are many ways to rig SPGs. Along the cylinders, lollipop, against the chest, like stage SPGs, ... Get ones that you can read and then choose appropriate rigging.

the plastic faced SPG's are much more prone to getting scratched than the glass ones. Little more damage tolerant though I haven't actually seen one crack during use. Problem with the glass ones is they are heavy and depending on your reg routing may cause the SPG's to sag quite badly. The medium ones that were mentioned below are what I call the "standard" 2" SPG and cause your gauges to do things like this

side-mount-diving-hollis-gear.jpg

and this
1397667728.jpg

and this
20150311_101205.jpg

and this
jon-sidemount-uw2.jpg

Last edited:
Scratched, yes. However, you see scratches only on surface, when the gauge face is wet, scratches become invisible, thus, not an issue.

Plus, I have my gauges for 3 years and the clear plastic is still well see through even when dry. Not an issue.

1.5in ones not brass and glass are less accurate. DGX website has a good explanation. I like the 2in black ones for cave diving on 8in hoses. Cos I can see them.

You can buff out the scratches with a plastic auto headlight scratch kit. Includes everything you need to completely renew the face many times. And they have to be pretty bad before you can't read them in the water in the first place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom