Which Wrist Computer To Start Out With

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the computers mentioned are good starter computers, relatively low cost, support nitrox, have gauge mode. Aeris and Oceanic are basically the same computer, they are the same company. Amoungst the mentioned, I will pick Aeris a300 in Gopbroke's post. The main advantage is the 3 bottom layout, which make navigating menu and setting much easier.

A second vote for a Suunto Vyper. The Cressi Leonardo was my first DC - a good option for the price, but if you can find a secondhand Vyper or are prepared to spend the extra for a new one - go for that.

Great info guys -- the main reason I am looking is to get way from an attached gauge. i would much rather have something attached to my wrist. While I realize that these that these are not fully integertgrated into my susteym, o s

Great info guys -- the main reason I am looking is to get way from an attached gauge. i would much rather have something attached to my wrist.

In that case DG03 is the only budget option AFAIK. (Not counting the transmitter $$ of course.)

The rest of AI computers are in the $1,000 range. In terms of features, the ones that stand out to me are
  • Liquivision uses ultrasound which gives them range in 10s of metres and allows buddy location/air monitoring and boat beacons. Everyone else's RF with the range of about a metre.
  • Hollis TX1 is trimix computer with ZHL-16C and user-settable gradient factors.

Suunto Zoop--great value and also nitrox compatible. Should you choose to, you can always drop it into a console from Suunto. Some folks don't like it because it's conservative, but I actually like it that way--I like to err on the side of caution since I'm a worst-case-scenario person. :D I ended up going with a Vyper Air when I first started because I snagged a really great deal on one that came w/ the air integration at under $700. If you're renting gear, you won't really be able to use the air integration unless you're willing to forgo the SPG since most rentals don't have an extra HP port for you to use. (My worst case scenario self doesn't like that.) Otherwise, depending on your budget, you can always get something that is air integration compatible and then in the future, should you choose to, you can always add it on.

You can always upgrade from the Zoop later on and then make it your backup or depending on your budget you can keep the end in mind. If you know you are going to be going further into the dive world, maybe you want to consider something that also has gas switching, etc. It'll be more up front, obviously, but you won't have to upgrade later.

In that case DG03 is the only budget option AFAIK. (Not counting the transmitter $$ of course.)

This is also a good choice. Air, nitrox, gauge, wireless ready if you plan to go wireless in future, still very inexpansive. To future proof, gauge mode is the key. It can be used as backup to another computer, or tech diving primary.

Suunto Zoop--great value and also nitrox compatible. Should you choose to, you can always drop it into a console from Suunto. Some folks don't like it because it's conservative, but I actually like it that way--I like to err on the side of caution since I'm a worst-case-scenario person. :D I ended up going with a Vyper Air when I first started because I snagged a really great deal on one that came w/ the air integration at under $700. If you're renting gear, you won't really be able to use the air integration unless you're willing to forgo the SPG since most rentals don't have an extra HP port for you to use. (My worst case scenario self doesn't like that.) Otherwise, depending on your budget, you can always get something that is air integration compatible and then in the future, should you choose to, you can always add it on.

You can always upgrade from the Zoop later on and then make it your backup or depending on your budget you can keep the end in mind. If you know you are going to be going further into the dive world, maybe you want to consider something that also has gas switching, etc. It'll be more up front, obviously, but you won't have to upgrade later.

The main issue with zoop is lack of gauge mode. The issue with running another computer as backup is what if your primary don't agree with your backup? If you primary is more liberal then your backup, chances are you backup will lock you out, making it un-usable for the next 24 hours. Keep in mind, the reason you go to your backup is when you primary fails, in this case, you are still out of computer.

If you know you will be into tech later, don't even bother with the wireless AI. And don't bother with recreational computers that claim they can do deco or multiple gas. These feature are pretty useless in actual tech diving

The main issue with zoop is lack of gauge mode. The issue with running another computer as backup is what if your primary don't agree with your backup? If you primary is more liberal then your backup, chances are you backup will lock you out, making it un-usable for the next 24 hours. Keep in mind, the reason you go to your backup is when you primary fails, in this case, you are still out of computer.

If you know you will be into tech later, don't even bother with the wireless AI. And don't bother with recreational computers that claim they can do deco or multiple gas. These feature are pretty useless in actual tech diving

This is a good point--you'll want to be conscious about conservativeness when it comes to your primary and backup if that is what you are considering.

This is a good point--you'll want to be conscious about conservativeness when it comes to your primary and backup if that is what you are considering.

No I am not considering at all. I am suggesting put backup into gauge mode, so if primary fails, you can use backup as gauge to complete the dive. Thus, if you are buying your first computer, consider one with gauge mode. My primary is also in gauge mode BTW

No I am not considering at all. I am suggesting put backup into gauge mode, so if primary fails, you can use backup as gauge to complete the dive. Thus, if you are buying your first computer, consider one with gauge mode. My primary is also in gauge mode BTW

I heard a rumour that the current iteration of Zoops come with a gauge mode. I'd say at this point the main problem with Zoop & Leonardo & Puck Pro is MSRP: if you can get them for ~$150 but at $250 there's several options with better feature sets.

Oh, and Aqualung i300 appears to be the same Pelagic computer as those options except with an extra $100 on the price tag.

Back
Top Bottom