Which Wrist Computer To Start Out With

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great info guys -- the main reason I am looking is to get way from an attached gauge. i would much rather have something attached to my wrist. While I realize that these that these are not fully integertgrated into my susteym, o s
You can get a small brass/glass gauge on a short hose but you still need one with any of the computers being mentioned except the DG03 if you buy the optional transmitter. Highland by XS Scuba 2" (5.1 cm) Brass & Snap SPG

When considering purchasing a "beginning" computer, consider this.

I purchased my first computer 17 years ago. I used it as my primary computer for about 10 years. I later sold it to a good friend of mine. He is still using it. It has all the functions he needs (and more), and its algorithm is still identical to some that are being promoted above.

Dive computers are not like laptops and iPhones. A dive computer you buy now may still be doing just fine in a couple of decades.

FYI: the Veo 180 is the same computer as a Hollis DG02, which does have a Gauge mode. I have three of the DG03 because I was trying to minimize types of computers being used in the family.

Other than the 1-button thing, my only complaint is that the small screen gets a bit busy for me.

The only suggestion I have is: Buy something reliable.

Honestly I would get something that can also be set in 'gauge mode' so that when/if you get another computer you can use this one as a timer backup or a computer backup.

I've used a veo 180 in gauge mode - I liked it.
( I normally would be like gogo magical shearwater - but I'll refrain from doing that this time :) )

Reactions: EFX
I think Palogic computers are quite reliable. I have two, both aquired used, got a lot of use myself too, although look beat up, never leak, always working (knock on wood). My Uwatec 2G is much newer, but already seems to have some intermitten issue. The screen kind of fading, buttons are sticky.

If we believe Leisurepro (and who doesn't :)) there's no gauge mode on a Zoop.

Backed up on the Suunto site: Suunto Zoop Yellow - Easy-to-operate dive computer

The new Zoop Novo computers have a depth gauge:
Suunto Zoop Novo Black - Easy-to-use big display dive computer

It also has a backlight, and in depth gauge mode will display dive time in minutes and seconds. The old model only did phosphor-luminescent (glow in the dark) and minutes on dive time.

If I didn't have a computer already I'd love one of these.

The new Zoop Novo computers have a depth gauge:
Suunto Zoop Novo Black - Easy-to-use big display dive computer

It also has a backlight, and in depth gauge mode will display dive time in minutes and seconds. The old model only did phosphor-luminescent (glow in the dark) and minutes on dive time.

If I didn't have a computer already I'd love one of these.

Ah, that's where I got that from. Of course for $350 you can get a DG03 and the uplink cable...

Cressida Leonardo for $199.00 on Amazon and offer all the function you need including gauge....good price for this unit.

I started out with a Puck, it works well enough.

New pucks are $150 or you can get a puck pro for $200.

Why not consider the Mares Nemo Wide also? Big display, easy on the user-changeable battery, four big, easy to handle buttons....
Nitrox and even gas changes are there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom