White House Expected to Respond to Ocean Commission

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh don't worry... it was "too late" quite a while back. Most americans today wouldn't recognize a pristine marine ecosystem if it bonked them on the head. I only know about them 'cuz I read very old expedition reports. I'm not even sure I've seen any myself.

Still, I am interested to know what the president will say, especially after releasing his intentions this week to drastically curb domestic spending. Scientists are getting notifications left and right about cuts to their NSF grants, which is pretty dang rude. Combined with widespread state budgetary shortfalls, both academic and agency research is going into the toilet. Where has all the money gone?

The Ocean Policy report has been shoved into a very remote corner of the american agenda... the timing of its release could not have been much worse. I would be surprised (but pleased) if ANY significant funds were allocated towards the report's recommendations. I've reviewed them all myself... it's a very long list, but well merited. 35 years is a long time to wait for this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom