White's fusion: Fit and other models, advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BiddyNZ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there,

I have got to a point in my diving where I want to dive locally, where the year round water temperature range is about 11-13 degrees celcius - about 50-60 degrees farenheight I think - rather than travelling 2 hours by plane each month to dive in warmer water. That is rather expensive and sometimes I get there and can't dive due to weather, and I want to dive more often.

I am in my early 50s, not naturally athletic, but I love the diving so much I simply want to do it, and want to do it regularly enough to be good at it, rather than once a month in summer which doesn't seem to be enough to build my skills and confidence. Not fast enough for my liking anyway.

So, where I was getting to, I have decided to move to drysuit. I am pursuaded by the discussion around the whilte's fusion, and have found a retailer in New Zealand who sells them. They will order one in for me to try. But WHICH MODEL?

I like the sound of the Sport (outer layer is Lycra) or the Tech (with Lycra panels) as I have large swimmers calves, and like the sound of the good stretch. But how do those models, for a curvey woman, compare to the women's-cut Fit which is all 'super stretch' neoprene and no Lycra panels?

Can any White's owners there tell me, how stretchy IS the Fit neoprene?
And have any of you tried on the women's Fit cut AND one of the men's cuts, and if so how do they compare???

Thanks!

I have a Tech. It is super stretchy so accomodates curves (and varying undergarments) well. I have runners/bikers legs, an ample chest, and it fits me perfect. The best part about the Fusions is you do not need an exact fit for it to feel like it is an exact fit! Especially for the Tech/Sport skins. A couple women I know with hard to fit/pear/apple bodies or frequent weight fluctuations love those skins for this very reason.

The Fit is the same stretch neoprene as the Bullet, but without the Gator neoprene across back, butt, etc. this lets it remain stretchier but still be durable and warmer than a Sport or Tech skin. But, I dive a Tech in 4 C/39 F waters and am notorious for always being cold (I wear long sleeves in 25C weather!) and am warm with the right undergarments so...the Tech also works in warmer waters with a thin base layer without feeling overheated.

The stretch neoprene IS quite stretchy though the Fit, like the Bullet, will "snug up more". Some find the Bullet more restrictive than the Sport or Tech and a Fit will be less so (no Gator neoprene except in knees) but still a bit snugger than a Tech or Sport. Depending on what size suit you get and where you are in the size range this might be an issue. I have not dove a Bullet but did notice a difference trying it on.

When I was debating which to get, I thought about the Fit but the purple details (do. not. like. purple.) and longer drying time swayed me to the Tech. The Fit will also be a bit heavier and bulkier to travel with (especially if still wet!) but it is not excessively so. Honestly, I do not feel like I need a women's version when I have the Tech! But is up to you and they are same price level. You need to think of the diving you do, whether you will travel with it, want a quicker drying time, etc. Many around here choose Bullet as it is more abrasion resistant and warmer (most Fusions sold in Canada are Bullets) but there are plenty who dive the Tech in coldwater, caves, and wrecks without issue. Also, you can always buy the skins separately.

They also are, or have, come out with a women's version of the One called the Essence (rear zip entry). Great price for a great suit, IMO. It is neoprene and lycra so very stretchy. Apparently the dry-core bag on this one is cut for women too. A friend of mine is getting one in this week and I will try and try it on to let you know how it compares!: Whites Fusion Essence Drysuits | Scuba Center | Whites DryCORE Technology

Thanks - I am keen to hear about the essence, particularly what you think of the rear zipper - I rather like the front zipper, so am interested in how easy the suit is to get on and off with the rear one.

Still holding out on making a decision. I have a second hand DUI to try on next weekend, then can try on a tech, easily. A dive shop up north (2 hour flight) stocks men's fusion suits, but I have to especially order in a women's one, and they won't be keen on ordering two or three for size comparisons. But I think if I try a tech, to get the right size, then make a choice of women's skin.

And I did also think of getting a tech skin later - so perhaps I can get a tech now, and then get a Fit or an Essence skin as follow up... Hmmm. Choices, choices.

Hope you are not too miserable in the Essence suit, given the purple trim! For me: do not .like. pink. (but can live with purple I guess if I have to).

I look forward to your thoughts - thanks.

I talked at some length with the Whites rep at the Tacoma Dive Expo, voicing my questions about the Fit. What it boils down to is the stitching and panel cut on the Fit is more flattering to a woman's figure.

I have the Sport skin and the Tech. The Sport is lighter and a bit easier to get on, but will not support pockets, so if you want them, you have to use some kind of neoprene pocket shorts. The Tech skin is a bit heavier and slower to dry, and a tad harder to get into, but it does support pockets.

I have not tried the back zip suits. Both of mine are front zip, and after they've broken in a bit, are self-donning, although the last inch is a bit of work.

I really like the Fusion. It's been an extremely reliable suit for me, with virtually no leaks other than problems with valves and seals, which are business as usual with dry suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom