Why do i have mold in my snorkel????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wilkie:
What type of snorklel are we talking about ?

a moldy one!

Try washing it better, perhaps. Also, don't store it in a location that will prevent it's drying! You are washing it off, but it's probably not drying very well. Then it's stored in a dark place andthe mold starts to party. My brother left a mask in a box with some pool toys for a month or two, withit still wet. Yeah. It was moldy.

DaFishy:
i wash my snorkel after every dive so how come i have mold growing in it:confused:

Because it's not clean and it's not dry and it has mold spores on it.

Try soaking it in water with bleach, then drying well and storing it somewhere well-ventilated and dry.

Terry

OK, I'm just asking for it I know. But if you stop diving with it you will keep it nice and dry and avoid all the mold. There are very few dives, IMHO, that require a snorkel. Snorkels are for snorkeling, we have regulators.

I know why mine has mold...because it has set in the bottom of my dive box for about a year.

Seriously though, bleach and let dry. Setting it out in the sun would be a good way to dry it.

It is not possible to get completely rid of mold spores. You can help it by drying it out thoroughly after washing the snorkel. But you will grow things in Florida whenever you provide it a warm, moist environment. If you don't believe that, take a look at the corners of your mask too, and be prepared to be grossed out.

SeaRat

John C. Ratliff:
It is not possible to get completely rid of mold spores. You can help it by drying it out thoroughly after washing the snorkel. But you will grow things in Florida whenever you provide it a warm, moist environment. If you don't believe that, take a look at the corners of your mask too, and be prepared to be grossed out.

SeaRat

..........and don't examine the inside of your second stage too closely.............

hey, bleach can hurt plastics I believe. Try diluting. I think even 10% bleach would help kill the stuff. I wouldn't use more than 50%. And rinse it well when you are done, you don't want to be breathing bleach fumes next time it gets wet and the bleach becomes in solution again :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom