• Welcome to ScubaBoard


  1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

    Benefits of registering include

    • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

    Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Why do i have mold in my snorkel????

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' started by DaFishy, Nov 4, 2006.

  1. DaFishy

    DaFishy Angel Fish

    # of Dives: 25 - 49
    Location: Florida,Wesleychaple
    52
    0
    0
    i wash my snorkel after every dive so how come i have mold growing in it:confused:
     
  2. wilkie

    wilkie Barracuda

    # of Dives: 100 - 199
    Location: Denver area
    326
    0
    0
    What type of snorklel are we talking about ?
     
  3. JahJahwarrior

    JahJahwarrior Solo Diver Staff Member

    # of Dives: 500 - 999
    Location: West Palm Beach, Fl
    3,539
    751
    113
    a moldy one!




    Try washing it better, perhaps. Also, don't store it in a location that will prevent it's drying! You are washing it off, but it's probably not drying very well. Then it's stored in a dark place andthe mold starts to party. My brother left a mask in a box with some pool toys for a month or two, withit still wet. Yeah. It was moldy.
     
  4. Web Monkey

    Web Monkey Omniheurist ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Location:
    6,921
    12
    0
    Because it's not clean and it's not dry and it has mold spores on it.

    Try soaking it in water with bleach, then drying well and storing it somewhere well-ventilated and dry.

    Terry
     
  5. TxHockeyGuy

    TxHockeyGuy Solo Diver

    # of Dives: 50 - 99
    Location: Dallas, TX
    642
    2
    0
    OK, I'm just asking for it I know. But if you stop diving with it you will keep it nice and dry and avoid all the mold. There are very few dives, IMHO, that require a snorkel. Snorkels are for snorkeling, we have regulators.
     
  6. crpntr133

    crpntr133 lost, even with a compass

    # of Dives: 100 - 199
    Location: West Central Indiana
    6,189
    6
    38
    I know why mine has mold...because it has set in the bottom of my dive box for about a year.

    Seriously though, bleach and let dry. Setting it out in the sun would be a good way to dry it.
     
  7. DaFishy

    DaFishy Angel Fish

    # of Dives: 25 - 49
    Location: Florida,Wesleychaple
    52
    0
    0
    ty every1 for the info
     
  8. John C. Ratliff

    John C. Ratliff Instructor, Scuba

    # of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Location: Beaverton, Oregon
    2,191
    505
    113
    It is not possible to get completely rid of mold spores. You can help it by drying it out thoroughly after washing the snorkel. But you will grow things in Florida whenever you provide it a warm, moist environment. If you don't believe that, take a look at the corners of your mask too, and be prepared to be grossed out.

    SeaRat
     
  9. Walter

    Walter Instructor, Scuba

    18,583
    318
    83
    ..........and don't examine the inside of your second stage too closely.............
     
  10. JahJahwarrior

    JahJahwarrior Solo Diver Staff Member

    # of Dives: 500 - 999
    Location: West Palm Beach, Fl
    3,539
    751
    113
    hey, bleach can hurt plastics I believe. Try diluting. I think even 10% bleach would help kill the stuff. I wouldn't use more than 50%. And rinse it well when you are done, you don't want to be breathing bleach fumes next time it gets wet and the bleach becomes in solution again :)
     

Share This Page