Why get rid of the Balance BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used a Balance until I went with a plate, and although I have not used it for +100 dives I still can't seem to let go of it. Good BCD.

I had a similar experience to the OP. I had a Balance, which gave me perfect trim. When it wore out, I got a Dimension. I like the Dimension in most respects: rugged construction, good configuration of waist band and shoulder straps, drop down pockets. But the unusually low trim pockets put me somewhat feet down. With an AL 80 and a 3mm or 7mm wetsuit, strapping 2-4 lbs near the top of the tank puts me back in trim. With a steel 108 and a drysuit, just shifting a little air toward the legs is enough to trim me out. My other minor beef is that the octo pocket stows the alternate effectively, but a bit below "the triangle."

My first BCD was a balance and it was a pretty good BCD, I did lose a weight pouch on a boat entry but that was before they added the sure lock system. After awhile the bladder leaked so they gave me a deal on an Apeks BP and wing. I don't know much about the diamension but there are very few things that a bpw can't do better.
The one thing I do not like about the Dimension BC is that the trim pockets are located on the cam strap, which is low. That puts the trim weights near the waist. With the front weight pockets at waist level & the trim pockets at waist level,... it kind of defeats the purpose of the trim pockets & drags the waist & feet down. I need weight on or at my shoulders to keep me in a balanced horizontal position.

Back
Top Bottom