Why must scuba divers "never hold their breath" while freedivers can?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL, lets hold up y'all. And by y'all I specifically mean "tursiops". I don't know where the rumor started that "I profess to have taken scuba training" except for an apparent misunderstanding by you reading other threads of mine. To be fair tursiops, I'm sure I typed something like "I'm doing my OW and..." But to set the record straight: I am currently signed up for OW course, and doing pre-research. I haven't even had my first class yet. (Let's also remember I started this thread almost 3 weeks ago and have posted a lot since then).

I am curious, and here to learn, and always full of questions. And yes, I want to deeply understand the "why" of everything in depth.

Anyway, enjoying this very NOT scary thread... so please, carry on :)

(And yes, my question relates far more to the nuances and issues of how snuba works, freediving, etc. and different depths than the simple PADI boyle's law chart that comes in my included classroom materials... all of this has been a helpful and interesting read)

Last edited:
LOL, lets hold up y'all. And by y'all I specifically mean "tursiops". I don't know where the rumor started that "I profess to have taken scuba training" except for an apparent misunderstanding by you reading other threads of mine. To be fair tursiops, I'm sure I typed something like "I'm doing my OW and..." But to set the record straight: I am currently signed up for OW course, and doing pre-research. I haven't even had my first class yet. (Let's also remember I started this thread almost 3 weeks ago and have posted a lot since then).

I am curious, and here to learn, and always full of questions. And yes, I want to deeply understand the "why" of everything in depth.

(And yes, my question relates far more to the nuances and issues of how snuba works, freediving, etc. and different depths than the simple PADI boyle's law chart that comes in my included classroom materials... all of this has been a helpful and interesting read)

Just so you know your dive count says 0-24. If you weren't certified "Not Certified Yet" was an option.

LOL. At least you're keeping your sense of humor. Try not to do too much research prior to classes. I liken it to going to WebMD before going to your doctor. You get too much information in your head which might not be understood or applied correctly which could make classes a bit tougher actually. Trust me, I'm an engineer. Over researching things is what I do. Don't forget to have fun.

Boyles Law is really an acronym

Breathe
Or
Your
Lungs
Explode,
Stupid!

Try not to do too much research prior to classes.
Yeah, I completely, albeit respectfully, disagree with this sentiment. The more research, reading and discussion, the better off you will be. Yes, be the know it all in the class. You have my encouragement to do so.

Yeah, I completely, albeit respectfully, disagree with this sentiment.

No offense taken but probably should attempt to clarify a bit. My writing doesn't always convey the thoughts in my head as I think they do. Of course I didn't mean not to research but just not too much beyond your understanding was my intended statement. Read a bit to a point you no longer understand, ask questions, make sure you understand, then read some more. If you read too far beyond your understanding and get confused those errors will need to get corrected. It's the failure to correct those errors with an instructor/professor that cause problems. I've witnessed a few heated arguments with instructors/professors over the years where the student was very wrong because they misunderstood the basis for a theory but wouldn't admit their confusion even to themselves. Particularly enjoyable was one about Ohm's law being wrong. I do forget that there's a good number of qualified instructors here (not so much on some other forums) that can properly answer the questions as the OP's potential instructor would. Not used to that.

Such misunderstandings are the exception rather than the rule. Even then, a competent instructor can turn such into a far deeper understanding of the physics, physiology and principles involved.

Back
Top Bottom