Why Not A Plb For Every Car, Backpack, Divebag, Etc...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why are people objecting to a 70mm x 130mm canister? That's 2..75"x5.1". No big deal. And the $124 cost will be a lot less than redesigning the ACR 2881 to be good for depth.

Otherwise, even if you carry a fancy two-way radio on dives, get the PLB for your car, then out for hikes.

Seems silly that Nautilus can be dived without a canister, the technology exists and would be even easier to implement with a PLB if it can be done with the Nautilus since the Nautilus design is at least 3X as complex. I like to travel light and dive light.

Last edited:
Canister: $125. Solved.

You mentioned them being expensive; did you delete that? If $1/week to carry everywhere you travel on land and sea, that is monitored by the best emergency system in the world, is too much for you, I guess our discussion is over.
It's still there. Unless they have some kind of payment plan, the site says it's $249.95. Add the $125 cannister and it's $374.95. As I said, expensive. If I decide to take up hiking unmarked trails or camping in deserts, I'll probably think the large cost is worthwhile. I'd probably get one if I did an exotic dive trip like a galapagos livaboard, too. Until then, it's unreasonably expensive for scuba diving, for me. Given the alternative that I already own.

If I'm wrong and they'll take $1/week or $52/year, I'll order one before bed.

PLB uses 406 technology that is different from a 911 call. PLBs and EPIRBs use the 406 satellite system, which is good the world over. Pushing the button on a PLB in a canyon or in the middle of the ocean, both places a cell phone won't work, will get to the proper rescue people in about 10 minutes..
Every boater should have one. The costs have come down in the past few years, the technology has gotten better so the units are smaller and easier to carry. Florida is now offering some sort of reduced boater registration fees if you have a PLB.
good stuff.

Of course they are different systems. My point was if everyone has one, the PLB infrastructure will be just as clogged and useless as 911.

If I decide to take up hiking unmarked trails or camping in deserts

I have a PLB and this (backcountry hiking.....often off trail) is when I carry it. I also take it with me when we're canyoneering in Utah......anyplace that would be considered "wilderness". I'm not sure about carrying one at other times. When someone calls 911 they can explain the situation, say which emergency service they need and provide other information that can be very useful to the first responders......the PLB only provides a location. Not sure if a proliferation of PLB's in "non-wilderness" settings would overload emergency responders.

I have a PLB and this (backcountry hiking.....often off trail) is when I carry it. I also take it with me when we're canyoneering in Utah......anyplace that would be considered "wilderness". I'm not sure about carrying one at other times. When someone calls 911 they can explain the situation, say which emergency service they need and provide other information that can be very useful to the first responders......the PLB only provides a location. Not sure if a proliferation of PLB's in "non-wilderness" settings would overload emergency responders.

If PLBs proliferate in non-wilderness areas, would the the lack of 2-way communication cause someone to have to seek out and investigate every active beacon?

If PLBs proliferate in non-wilderness areas, would the the lack of 2-way communication cause someone to have to seek out and investigate every active beacon?
You're allowed to test your PLB functionality (121.5/243-MHz homing signal) within the first 5min of the Hour. After that time period, you better have a real emergency situation. . .

It's still there. Unless they have some kind of payment plan, the site says it's $249.95. Add the $125 cannister and it's $374.95. As I said, expensive. If I decide to take up hiking unmarked trails or camping in deserts, I'll probably think the large cost is worthwhile. I'd probably get one if I did an exotic dive trip like a galapagos livaboard, too. Until then, it's unreasonably expensive for scuba diving, for me. Given the alternative that I already own.

If I'm wrong and they'll take $1/week or $52/year, I'll order one before bed.
I guess living in Largo FL, you never get away from civilization except when you do to see. Ok fine, rent one if you ever plan a trip out of state. The link in my sig has them.

So where does it sit between adventures? Mine rides in my car console. It easy to drive out of cell tower range here, and I bet so there too.

Back
Top Bottom