Why wear swimsuit under wetsuit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the old days we wore nothing under our wetsuits. Sometimes pantyhose to make it easier to get the bottoms on.

What changed this for me was when women started diving, there was a group of us at a local dive site, all men, changing clothes. A local instructor was bringing a class of young ladies over the dune and walked into a group of naked men.

Shrieks all around.......

Although individuals may be comfortable with their bodies, others may not be......and in the US we have many stupid laws regarding public nudity.

Weren't the women taught the appropriate way to wear their wetsuit? If so, the tradition would not have been broken.

I normally forget to bring my speedo's with me diving (not budgie smugglers!) - they are always the last think I remember when leaving the house and always the first I remember when unpacking!! I normally end up using my normal pants (Briefs) and then having to go commando for the rest of the day after.

Me and the other instructor have the same suit, and always have a running joke of "Hey, borrowed your suit today, had to go commando...sorry" (while heavily scratching/adjusting yourself) only to have the reply "It's okay, couldn't hold myself yesterday, so it needs a good clean first."

Here in Europe I think the human body is a bit more accepted so there is none of this embarrassment if someone sees your buttocks :) you are what you are...the local dive shops have shared showers!

There is no escape from personal insults diving around here, so you have to live with it:
Your Fat, and that's that.
ActionMan would fit that suit better
Oh look a willy! but smaller...
We dont have a suit your size, but have a roll of neoprene and a staple gun out the back.
The last time you looked pretty was when your were a glint in your mothers lovers eye.

Regards

Richard
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless you are over 60 and from the great white north, in South Florida a speedo is a no-no even on a dive boat! +1 for compression shorts (I like the black ones Champion makes, matches my wetsuit)

So to bring the matter to a conclusion after this animated and fun discussion, may I recommend all read Chapter 5 of The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette, titled "Dress Code, " for complete coverage of the issue.
DivemasterDennis

I always wear big baggy trunks and actually Try to get them bunched up in my buttock chasm in case I see a shark so there is something to absorb things,and don't dare remove watsuit until in privacy of own home.
When I did my OW course I was the only " older " person amongst a class of mostly young adults, at a point when the instructor was discussing wetsuits she told us"Everyone" pees in their wetsuit, so I piped up and said "yeah,and I pooped in mine one time", after the grossed out moans subsided I told them that "I don't recommend doing that".

When I did my OW course I was the only " older " person amongst a class of mostly young adults, at a point when the instructor was discussing wetsuits she told us"Everyone" pees in their wetsuit, so I piped up and said "yeah,and I pooped in mine one time", after the grossed out moans subsided I told them that "I don't recommend doing that".

Somethings are best left unsaid and kept to yourself...:doh:

Compression shorts work great either with a wetsuit or boardshorts...keeps the chaffing from poorly placed seams down to a minimum. :crazyeye:

Scubapro's Hybrid Shorts are a perfect solution!

I wear some dive skin shorts made by O'neil. Makes it a little easier to put on/take off the wetsuit while not having to worry about a towel on a windy day. They dry quick, so after the dive, no problems wearing a regular pair of shorts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom