Why you don't put your hand on coral reefs - Reef Stonefish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marriard

Contributor
Reaction score
Stonefish are amongst the ugliest fish in the ocean - once you actually spot one. Which you will want to do.

This big ugly pink thing was found on top of the famous Steve's Bommie in north Queensland, Australia. He was close to 2' in size.

2007-01-05_12-27-36.jpg

Even knowing it is there, it is still difficult to make out the various body parts - look for the eye first and go from there....

This image should help. This was his pretty side.

2007-01-05_10-18-41.jpg

And you want to spot him because of these...

2007-01-05_10-18-57.jpg

These deadly dorsal spines look ugly - and they are.

I stepped on one of these when I was 14 or 15 walking across an exposed reef at low tide. I was very lucky - only one spine penetrated the skin, and I didn't get a massive venom dose. I was only in excruciating pain for a few days, and didn't recover for well over a month.

Enjoy,
M

I always tell my students that "Stone are so ugly only their mothers could love them"

Nice close-ups. I'd avoid walking on coral if I can, yep, and if I have to, gotta wear thick-soled sandals/shoes.
Dive safely.

You don't put your hand on coral because you will kill it. If you do, you deserve a sting from a stone fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom