wierd question about UW camera's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cando

Reaction score
Hello

I was wondering if anyone out there owns and underwater camera and housing (i'm sure alot of you probably do)...but my question is......

where can i get small silica gel packs to insert into my underwater housing (to prevent fogging), here in canda?

I've searched online but all i can find are big companies in the U.S who sell thses packets by the thousands in bulk!

Just curious where you guys get your silica gel packs. I tried the old shoe store routine but that didnt exactly work out too well :)

Told you this was a wierd question!!

Thanks

Hi Cando,

I have gotten packs at a local photo supply/camera shop.

You might also try " underwater digital"'s website.

Good luck,

Mike

This may sound weird too :doctor:
But I get mine from a drug store in the pharmacy dept. and they are free :) { my wife is a pharmacist tech} they are the packs they use to keep pills dry.
Never hurt to go to you local drug store and ask.

*edit* I should have click on the above link before posting
You would have got the idea

you can also get silica crystals at home depot, and put a teaspoonful wrapped in a piece of nylon stocking in as a drying packet :wink:

I didn't even know this was needed!!?? Is it necessary to use it in warm water as well or only up here in the colder water?

Reason i ask is because I'm going south in 2 weeks and am going to attempt my first underwater photography. Any other tips?

When diving in cold water, the water in the air inside your housing will condense on the inside of the housing or on the lens and will cloud the pictures. The phenomena is the same you experience if you're an eye glasses wearer when you come into a warm, humid room from the cold outdoors. Or, even more pertinent, the same as the condensation on the inside of your mask when diving in cold water. The difference is that you cannot defog the housing or camera. The condensation will form on the inside of the camera as well. It not only spoils your pictures, but can also ruin the camera if persistent. You need to eliminate the moisture in the air and that is where a desiccant comes in. It absorbs the moisture.

To answer your second question about diving in warm water, the answer is yes and for two reasons. Just as your mask will still fog up in warm water, tropical water is still colder than the air in your mask or housing and will result in condensation. It can actually be worse in the tropics because the air is so much more humid.

Didn't know that Home Depot (my second home) has silica crystals. Where are they found canuckd?

Realize that they are only good for a short exposure to humid air. You MUST keep them tightly sealed until ready to use. If sealed they are good and ready to use forever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom