Wife is from Cebu, I'm American, LOVED diving in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Completely off-topic, but what the heck... Gelato is much nicer than ice-cream IMHO. The range of flavours (Gelatissimo makes them on-site) is great and they have a much 'fresher' and more 'vivid' taste. They make the 'base' and then add real stuff to flavour it - chuck in some nutella, fresh limes, strawberries, pistachios etc...... even apple pie. My favourite is the 'chili chocolate'.

Because I hang around Manila in-between dive bookings, I need to watch my weight - so the reduced fat/calories is a bonus. I don't really have a sweet tooth, but gelato is a rare treat I like to occasionally indulge...so the cost is worth it to me. It's also just 5 minutes walk from my condo :)

Never mind all the imported foods. Go to the Philippines and enjoy the local foods. When I lived on Boracay (after living in Iloilo for 10 years) I ate where the locals ate....for about US$1 I could get a belly full. If you want MacDo, it's the same as in the US. Same as all the other imported food.

Who did you dive with in Boracay, op?

Never mind all the imported foods. Go to the Philippines and enjoy the local foods.

If I did that, I'd probably have died of heart attack some time ago.... or would weight about 300lbs now. It's nice for a vacation, but a sustained diet of deep fried pork fat and rice isn't conducive to a healthy cardio-vascular system. LOL

I don't know what you eat up in Subic but in the Visayas we ate a lot of lean soups. Chicken, fish, vegetables, canton, green papaya chicken soup.....you don't see many fat Filipinos out in the country there. The more wealthy people....yes, lechon baboy (roast pork) among other fatty foods. Eat what the working class rice farmers eat.

I don't know what you eat up in Subic but in the Visayas we ate a lot of lean soups. Chicken, fish, vegetables, canton, green papaya chicken soup.....you don't see many fat Filipinos out in the country there. The more wealthy people....yes, lechon baboy (roast pork) among other fatty foods. Eat what the working class rice farmers eat.

I doubt the working class rice farmers are eating a lot of lean soups. Chicken, fish, vegetables, canton, green papaya chicken soup.

Rice farmers are eating rice for breakfast, rice for lunch and rice for dinner.

Since we are on the topic of ice cream, do you suggest someone who just arrived or on vacation to eat a dirty water ice cream like a local just because it costs 5 pesos ?

Since we are on the topic of ice cream, do you suggest someone who just arrived or on vacation to eat a dirty water ice cream like a local just because it costs 5 pesos ?

GMA showed a report recently about 'street food' in Manila. Virtually every sample they studied (ice-cream, buko juice, rice and meat foods) contained some form of sickening bacteria. Lack of personal hygiene by vendors/producers (many samples had trace evidence of excrement), poor storage conditions, contaminated raw materials and cross-contamination of (raw vs prepared) foods were cited as the main causes.

I've eaten street food all across Asia.. I pretty much exclusively lived on it in Thailand and Vietnam... but I don't touch it here in the Philippines.

This thread has got me hungry... time for some isaw!

GMA showed a report recently about 'street food' in Manila. Virtually every sample they studied (ice-cream, buko juice, rice and meat foods) contained some form of sickening bacteria. Lack of personal hygiene by vendors/producers (many samples had trace evidence of excrement), poor storage conditions, contaminated raw materials and cross-contamination of (raw vs prepared) foods were cited as the main causes.

I've eaten street food all across Asia.. I pretty much exclusively lived on it in Thailand and Vietnam... but I don't touch it here in the Philippines.

I agree, e coli is what I hear all the time that is common in the Phils and no one cares.

Pinoy food sucks compared to Thailand and Vietnam. Pinoy food is Salty, Greasy and full or MSG and Fat. ! Anyone who thinks it is good, either does'nt know better or has some how brainwashed them self it is good.

I would rather spend the extra pesos, than have to eat local Pinoy food !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom