Windstar French Polynesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Brant

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just back from French Polynesia on Windstar's Wind Spirit. Great ship and cruise with some excellent diving. We dove Fakarava, Rangiroa, Bora Bora, and Moorea. All were good but the first two were amazing, with glass-like visibility and big critters. We used Kaina Plongee on Fakarava as the ship's dive excursion was cancelled, and then we booked Top Dive through the ship for the other ports. If I did it again I would probably book direct as it is a lot cheaper, although booking through the ship you get picked up and dropped back off right at the ship (no tender to shore needed).

I also put together a last-minute private dive to the Nordby wreck on Raiatea. I just asked our land tour guide if I could set up a dive for later in the day and it turned out a family member was a dive guide. The wreck was cool but not really as great as any of the other dives as it is just offshore and has only so-so viz. It is very well-preserved though and has different creatures to see.

Just back from French Polynesia on Windstar's Wind Spirit. Great ship and cruise with some excellent diving. We dove Fakarava, Rangiroa, Bora Bora, and Moorea. All were good but the first two were amazing, with glass-like visibility and big critters. We used Kaina Plongee on Fakarava as the ship's dive excursion was cancelled, and then we booked Top Dive through the ship for the other ports. If I did it again I would probably book direct as it is a lot cheaper, although booking through the ship you get picked up and dropped back off right at the ship (no tender to shore needed).

I also put together a last-minute private dive to the Nordby wreck on Raiatea. I just asked our land tour guide if I could set up a dive for later in the day and it turned out a family member was a dive guide. The wreck was cool but not really as great as any of the other dives as it is just offshore and has only so-so viz. It is very well-preserved though and has different creatures to see.

My last NFG (no fu*ken good)dive of the trip in BoraBora😠😤😡🤬
After almost a week of FANTASTIC diving with TopDive Rangiroa it was time to start our weeklong cruise on the Wind Spirit, our fifth Windstar cruise but first one here. The dives and dm’s in Rangiroa were great underwater but did have a couple of equipment problems on my gear with there hurried and rough handling as they setup my gear. For the first time ever I had my tank come out of my bc (the second safety strap wasn’t fastened I saw AFTER the dive), on another dive on the decent I went to adjust my bc’s air & nothing then looking down saw the pressure hose was no longer attached which I’ve also never experienced in 40 years. I do understand the final blame falls on my shoulders for not giving a through pre dive check of their sloppy work.
As an advanced certified diver with over 700 dives logged all over the world in 40 years I know when there’s a problem brewing. Usually I book my dives with a researched dive shop and when on a cruise I privately book my dives in each port as opposed to booking an excursion with the ship, lining up transportation in each port to the dive shops can be a hassle so on this Windstar cruise around Tahiti aboard the Wind Spirit sailing yacht I decided to bite the bullet and book the most expensive 2 tank dive I’ve ever done, $300 which is more than 3 times the price I’ve ever paid. The first red flag arose waiting for the dive boat to arrive at our ship there was only one other “certified “ diver waiting with me. I have ALL my own dive gear and he had NONE, not even mask & fins and after a short conversation I knew he had little experience and was close to my age. The dive boat arrived with one divemaster that was a French woman. As I was concerned with the dive I’d have I told her I was an “easy breather” (very good on air consumption), she informed me it would be a 45 minute dive and for me only using 1/2 my air would be the norm. She also explained the boat was tied to a mooring and as there was no current we’d be ending the dive back under the boat. The 3 of us entered the water and the dm (dive master) gave the descent signal. As I started down I immediately saw black tip sharks which was great and started using my camera. When on the bottom I looked up and saw the 2 other divers near the surface and he was having problems with his decent which didn’t surprise me so kept watching the sharks and nice corals. He finally got down and we started exploring the area, in a little while I hear the dm banging on her tank to get our attention, the other diver was headed the wrong way, as she was too lazy to go after him I chased him down grabbing his fin a pointed him to the dm. At about 25 minutes into the dive I look up and at around 15 feet I see the both of them and she signals me to follow, I signal her to get him into the boat and come down as I was holding the mooring chain so I could finish my dive! I’m looking around and the next thing I feel is her GRABBING my buoyancy vest and inflating it which takes us to the surface without the industry standard safety stop at 15 feet to clear nitrogen from your system and more importantly no SLOW assent the last 15 feet to the surface! She then informs me she’s returning me to the Wind Spirit without my second dive! If you look at the end of this vid you’ll see him and the dm with a huge endless stream of bubbles, no wonder he was about out of air. Before writing this I spent time with the Wind Spirit excursion director explaining my side and she contacted “Top Dive” BoraBora but both declined a refund so I wanted to give a heads up to other divers lucky enough to come to see the FANTASTIC diving of this area to avoid diving with #WindstarCruises & #TOPDIVE BoraBora!
BTW: STILL LOVE the Windstar and their excursion’s just steer clear of their diving!

My last NFG (no fu*ken good)dive of the trip in BoraBora😠😤😡🤬
After almost a week of FANTASTIC diving with TopDive Rangiroa it was time to start our weeklong cruise on the Wind Spirit, our fifth Windstar cruise but first one here. The dives and dm’s in Rangiroa were great underwater but did have a couple of equipment problems on my gear with there hurried and rough handling as they setup my gear. For the first time ever I had my tank come out of my bc (the second safety strap wasn’t fastened I saw AFTER the dive), on another dive on the decent I went to adjust my bc’s air & nothing then looking down saw the pressure hose was no longer attached which I’ve also never experienced in 40 years. I do understand the final blame falls on my shoulders for not giving a through pre dive check of their sloppy work.
As an advanced certified diver with over 700 dives logged all over the world in 40 years I know when there’s a problem brewing. Usually I book my dives with a researched dive shop and when on a cruise I privately book my dives in each port as opposed to booking an excursion with the ship, lining up transportation in each port to the dive shops can be a hassle so on this Windstar cruise around Tahiti aboard the Wind Spirit sailing yacht I decided to bite the bullet and book the most expensive 2 tank dive I’ve ever done, $300 which is more than 3 times the price I’ve ever paid. The first red flag arose waiting for the dive boat to arrive at our ship there was only one other “certified “ diver waiting with me. I have ALL my own dive gear and he had NONE, not even mask & fins and after a short conversation I knew he had little experience and was close to my age. The dive boat arrived with one divemaster that was a French woman. As I was concerned with the dive I’d have I told her I was an “easy breather” (very good on air consumption), she informed me it would be a 45 minute dive and for me only using 1/2 my air would be the norm. She also explained the boat was tied to a mooring and as there was no current we’d be ending the dive back under the boat. The 3 of us entered the water and the dm (dive master) gave the descent signal. As I started down I immediately saw black tip sharks which was great and started using my camera. When on the bottom I looked up and saw the 2 other divers near the surface and he was having problems with his decent which didn’t surprise me so kept watching the sharks and nice corals. He finally got down and we started exploring the area, in a little while I hear the dm banging on her tank to get our attention, the other diver was headed the wrong way, as she was too lazy to go after him I chased him down grabbing his fin a pointed him to the dm. At about 25 minutes into the dive I look up and at around 15 feet I see the both of them and she signals me to follow, I signal her to get him into the boat and come down as I was holding the mooring chain so I could finish my dive! I’m looking around and the next thing I feel is her GRABBING my buoyancy vest and inflating it which takes us to the surface without the industry standard safety stop at 15 feet to clear nitrogen from your system and more importantly no SLOW assent the last 15 feet to the surface! She then informs me she’s returning me to the Wind Spirit without my second dive! If you look at the end of this vid you’ll see him and the dm with a huge endless stream of bubbles, no wonder he was about out of air. Before writing this I spent time with the Wind Spirit excursion director explaining my side and she contacted “Top Dive” BoraBora but both declined a refund so I wanted to give a heads up to other divers lucky enough to come to see the FANTASTIC diving of this area to avoid diving with #WindstarCruises & #TOPDIVE BoraBora!
BTW: STILL LOVE the Windstar and their excursion’s just steer clear of their diving!
always set up your own gear, lessoned learned! I would write to padi regarding this divemaster, she is going to kill some newby diver!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom