Wing Assides

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JC

Reaction score
Heard an interesting snippit from one of my diving colleagues. He, like myself, tends to use a Wing most times these days. On a dive trip to Galapagos he was having more difficulties than he had experienced before in strong currents. He found that his Wing was tending to deploy like a "sail" and caused much increased work and air consumption. I've not found this to any large degree myself, but, got to wondering if any of you other folks had similar experiences.

Hello JC the wing style back mounted bc system is manufactured by several different companies under different names. the wing type systems I am familiar with are made by Dive Rite, OMS, or Halysion. As far as water drag well yes these type bc's were not specifically designed for open water use as it was designed for cave diving and Technical Diving. as far as your friends rig he may wish to check the bungy retaining cord to verify that it has not been overshretched or damaged this can allow partial deployment of system and yes it will feel like you are dragging a parachute behind you.

Mike

Thanks mike,
Food for thought. I have tended to use the Diverite rec wings of late , but, since then nothing too demanding. My other bc is Scubapro and I'm thinking best to take this on our dive trip to Palau in late October where some on some sites the currents are a mite fierce . The wings might just have me sailing off into the blue, recovery boat having trouble coming up on a rapidly receding dsmb !
Cheers,
John

Hey JC I believe you have made a wise decision and should enjoy your diving experience in the South Pacific, the Diving out their is Fantastic.. take care and dive safe.

Mike

JC:
Heard an interesting snippit from one of my diving colleagues. He, like myself, tends to use a Wing most times these days. On a dive trip to Galapagos he was having more difficulties than he had experienced before in strong currents. He found that his Wing was tending to deploy like a "sail" and caused much increased work and air consumption. I've not found this to any large degree myself, but, got to wondering if any of you other folks had similar experiences.

I can't imagine. What type and size wing? My wings are very narrow donuts with nothing to deploy like a sail. I do believe a rec wing is much to much for a single tank.

Zombie thread.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2012 at 06:20 PM ----------

I thought it a really interesting OP considering how mainstream bpw's have come in 12years.

Back
Top Bottom