Question Wing in hand luggage on flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raastad91

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone.

I’m considering bringing a Mares XR-REC Trim wing on backpacking to Raja Ampat and the Philippines. I’m planning on checking a big backpack, and I’m afraid the BC wing would be damaged in there. I’d rather not prefer two checked in baggages as it is more hassle to bring around.

Does anyone either have experience with bringing a wing in a checked backpack, or as hand luggage, particularly in these places? I reckon they are rather familiar with diving equipment there.

Best regards Kristian Raastad

Folks do it all the time. Some have issues getting the backplate portion of their rig through security in their carry-on bag but you can separate the wing from the plate and pack the plate in your checked bag...packing your wing in your carry-on should not be a problem. I recommend removing the corrugated hose from the wing and rolling the wing around it (don't misplace the gasket).

-Z

Others have worn their bp/w on the plane. There is one guy on here who turned his into a daypack.

You never know what's going to set off the TSA anymore. Well, scuba regs and all the bits and bobs usually gets me pulled to the side.

Wing in checked bag all the time without ever suffered any damages. ditto to other equipment.
And I use non descriptive soft bag.
How to pack the content is very important.
A thin layer of discarded/old foam camping mattress is very good as padding material. Clothing is good to wrap round some hard/soft objects eg. 1st and 2nd stages.

Enjoy the trip to Indonesia and Philippines.

Thanks for all the reply’s everybody! Made it a bit easier 🤙🏼

I always take my set up as a carry on everything fits in a Akhona bag I don't like checking my rig or computer

You never know what's going to set off the TSA anymore. Well, scuba regs and all the bits and bobs usually gets me pulled to the side.

little off subject but yeah TSA will flag you for all kinds of strange things.

Once ended up with a bunch of those single pack quaker instant oatmeal and Nature Valley trail mix bars in my carry on (long story) when they x-rayed my carry on they really really wanted to see the huge pile of oatmeal and trail mix bars even did the little sab thing all around them. Could care less about anything else in my bag. Never actually found out what was so interesting about them but they were really specific in just searching those items.

Back
Top Bottom