Worst food

Discussion in 'Food and Recipes' started by LetterBoy, Oct 4, 2004.

1. LetterBoy

LetterBoy he who lacks empathy ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    ok so i am sitting here eating mac and cheese with no cheese and meatballs heated in the microwave. I was just wondering what is the worst food you have eaten?

2. nauifins73

nauifins73 Manta Ray

Lutefisk - if you don't know what it is google it

Becky

3. LetterBoy

LetterBoy he who lacks empathy ScubaBoard Supporter

Anything that has the word plutonium in the translation NO WAY!!!

Interesting site

4. gfisher4792

gfisher4792 Surface Interval Member

This question was batted around in an thread this past summer: Weird Food

My vote is balut, from the Philippines. Never actually ate it, and I thank God I haven't. Google it, or read about it in the linked thread. :p

5. medic_diver45

medic_diver45 Barracuda

Three words: Hard boiled eggs. It's not the taste that makes me sick (although the smell can do that to me sometimes), but mainly it's that d--n rubbery texture. EEEEEW! YUCK!

6. medic_diver45

medic_diver45 Barracuda

7. SueMermaid

SueMermaid Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Becky beat me to it. Lutefisk. It's sort of like fish-flavored jello. With bones in it. And butter sauce. Doesn't that sound dreamy?

Not a huge fan of eel, either. Eel anything. Especially sushi. Don't know how people can eat that stuff. And while we are on the subject of sushi, (which I generally love), raw squid. Tastes and feels just like I imagine an inner tube from a bicycle would taste. Also, jellyfish. Before I tried it, I asked the chef what jellyfish tasted like, and he replied: Rubber bands. Mmm!

8. The Kraken

The Kraken He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR) ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    A chitterling (chittlins if you're from the south) and turnip green sandwich with mustard.

9. Hank49

Hank49 Scuba Instructor

# of Dives:
    Balut, for those who haven't heard of it, is a duck egg eaten at various stages of embryo development. At 12 days it's like a big yolk, more or less, with the circulatory system forming (lots of veins). But, I have to agree with you...the 18-20 day old, three days from hatching has made more than a few people I knew blow chunks. This is probably more a factor that they had already drank 30 beers or so and ate it on a bet.. but it is pretty gross by western standards. The little beak and feet and soft feathers.....mmmmmmm.

10. Hank49

Hank49 Scuba Instructor

# of Dives:
    speaking of bad tasting dishes of the Philippines....dino guan...(in the western Visayas that's what it's called). It's made from pig's blood cooked with either the head meat or...and this is the one I almost couldn't swallow...the intestines. It seemed that no matter how much you clean, them the finished product tastes like a barnyard smells. No offence to any of you Pinoys /Pinays out there. I love the place and people but some of the food.........Mabuhay. Hank

11. SueMermaid

SueMermaid Loggerhead Turtle

Medic Diver, that's one of the funniest websites I have seen in ages. :laugh:

12. MSilvia

MSilvia Great White

I'd have to go with uni... raw sea urchin roe, but only because I haven't tried hakarl (shark that's been buried for months and then cured), balut, or lutefisk.

I love eel though! Especially in sushi. :)

13. MSilvia

MSilvia Great White

Sounds good to me... some of my favorite sausages are intestine (A.K.A. "natural casings") packed with seasoned pork scraps and blood. In fact, one of my favorite Portuguese sausages is MOSTLY blood.

14. Bob3

Bob3 Dive Shop

Hmmm ... some of the afore mentioned are some of my favorite snacks !!!

Some of the most memorable foods I disliked were normally GOOD foods, only prepared so crappily it was a downright crime.

15. Mako Mark

Mako Mark Scuba Instructor

there is stuff you get in bali that is dried coconut soaked in raw pigs blood.

(Note to self: in future stick to the dog satay)

16. Iruka

Iruka Barracuda

# of Dives:
    Boiled fruit bat....with the fur still attached...in Fiji. Also a bit of "beef stew" which included the jaw, teeth, and again, attached hide, also in Fiji. (I was in the Peace Corps back there in the 1980's.) I also might have eaten an earthworm now & then as a kid to get attention, but haven't done that for YEARS!

17. nauifins73

nauifins73 Manta Ray

Dang! Philippines, Bali, Fiji, this is the food they have there? These are places I have always want to go to and dive. Do they by chance have McDonalds or Applebees or anything "normal" :D?

Becky

18. Mako Mark

Mako Mark Scuba Instructor

You are not in Kansas any more Becky

19. nauifins73

nauifins73 Manta Ray

So true - and thank goodness. Kansas is a great place to be from! Just not quite as adventurous when it come to eating as some folks.

Becky

20. gfisher4792

gfisher4792 Surface Interval Member

Don't worry Becky; it's not like the Philippines have only balut, dino guan and blood pudding to eat! As a matter of fact, the Philippines is arguably the most Westernized Asian country out there. Haven't been there for some time, but I have relatives living there and family visiting there all the time. You'll do fine there, especially if you stick with the resorts!