• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

WTB: LED primary light

Discussion in 'Old Unclassified Classified Ads' started by Aquarianna, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Aquarianna

Aquarianna Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hey all-

Lookin for a good used (or new) led light for primary use. I'm especially interested in a princeton tec shockwave, but let me know what you've got and I'll look into it.

Thanks-
    Anna

2. dumpsterDiver

dumpsterDiver Banned

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I just got the shockwave triple LED light for $79 plus a free small light from Divers Direct. It has worked great in the front yard so far. I'm hoping it will last..and if it doesn't I know the manufacturer will take care of me. (as opposed to Underwater Kinetics)

3. Aquarianna

Aquarianna Angel Fish

I might look into that if I get not other offers. thanks for the tip-

Anna

4. Carribeandiver

Carribeandiver Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    dont know about no shockwave but I can vouch for the Pelican Aquaking 80. That is one very bright light. My dive buddies turn off their "torches" when diving with me at night. They claim I light up the whole area enough for all of us.
    (Of course, I think they are nuts but what do I know?)

5. mthirsc

mthirsc Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    One thing to consider is whether an LED light is regulated, esp. when using alkalines. all UK are-- they will be near constant brightness for the duration, and then give you a couple hours of dimming light. The PT lights arent, at least the shockwave isn't. While very bright, it will keep dimming for the duration. But it is one of the brightest LED dive lights available for the first couple of hours. Take a look at flashlightreviews.com , there are a few dive lights there, mostly under 3 and 5 watt LED.

6. vondo

vondo Manta Ray

I'm curious about this comment. So far I've had only good experiences with UK. The first one was a light that turned on in my bag and melted the lens of my SL6. Totally my fault and they just sent me a replacement.

Right now I have my C8-eLED out since it flooded. Again, totally my fault and I don't know if they are going to charge me or how much, but so far I'm happy...

Have you had other experiences?

7. Aquarianna

Aquarianna Angel Fish

I'd like to hear too- although the consensus I've heard from browsing the boards seems to be that PT has better customer service. Is it just harder to get a hold of a UK rep than a PT?

8. dumpsterDiver

dumpsterDiver Banned

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I have a UK light that they no longer make, do not support and claim to have no replacement parts for. They will not replace or repair.

I talked to all of the customer service an eventually to MR. UK himself.. think it is spelled differently.... He absolutely told me they would not give me any credit for a new light or fix or replace the one that failed. I was VERY surprised after I was quite persistant with them. The battery terminal coil springs broke, the light was never flooded or abused and looks to be nearly new on the outside and inside. It was an older big light that holds 8 D-cells, I have atleast two others of the exact same model of these lights and they still work.

This was disappointing and their very poor customer bordered on fraudulent advertising of a lifetime warranty in my personal opinion, but what can you do? I have vowed to not buy more of their lights, (and I also try to make a point of letting other divers know about my experience) Underwater Kinetics = BAD, Princeton Tech = Good

I would have been happy with a coupon for 50% of the retail price of the light, but they would do nothing.