Ww aircraft info....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tazzer9797

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello... Bin almost a year since my last post... Just want to throw this out there and see what I come up with...

Since I am now retired I am looking to ramp up my search for WW Aircraft in the area between Brockville to west of the GTA of Lake Ontario, for said aircraft. I have stories and reports on downed Harvard s, Vampires, Avro Arrow and Velvet Glove Models as well as a couple others that have not bin confirmed on type of aircraft. I am looking for not only GPS numbers but also other divers with the same interests to meet up with , maybe even team up with on a project or two...

Also have heard stories of aircraft in Lake Simcoe ...

Drop me a line here or on Facebook in the "SOUTHERN ONTARIO WRECK HUNTERS" page and Stay Safe

Greeting tazzer. I share your interest.
There is an active group, searching for Avro arrow models along the south side of Prince Edward County.
The are they're scanning is deep (tech range) though.
Lake Simcoe sounds intriguing.

Mike Dolson
Naui4780/Padi202288 (Retired)

I can tell you the difficulty of finding aircraft. My first attempt was to locate a B-52C that went down in 73 in Grand Traverse Bay. Searched dead on where a military diver said he saw and inspected the wreckage in 235'. Searched in water up to 420ft and covered an area of 4 sq miles, which is quite massive for a accurate location. We then searched for two F-106's that went down off of Alpena with pretty accurate numbers but alas we only found a bunch of munitions and 2 schooners. Aircraft tend to break up upon impact and sonar has a difficult time in "seeing" the wreck due to bottom composition and thermocline. Then when we went specifically to search for a tug that went down 10 miles offshore near Oscoda, we found a upside down 1930s biplane with machine guns mounted on there (plan on salvaging them), and it was a very peculiar sonar target that we got lucky on... Go figure.

I will see if I can help you with some information though on your side of the lake.

My father salvaged crashed military jet aircraft in the 1950s. He said they were smashed to smithereens, and the pieces were very small.

Interesting, I have heard rumors of a Dehavilland aircraft somewhere in Lake Simcoe between Oro and Kempenfelt Bay. Just rumors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom