X-mas Holiday Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
As Phil mentioned, sea state was mostly flat over the holiday, but we were beset at depth by strong surge and poor vis until the last day of diving.

In contrast, surface water was clear at the Palos Verdes Underwater Arch.

At the Underwater Arch, several overhangs shelter a endless assortment of beautiful sponges.

Most of the nudis must have gone indoors for the surge storm except for this very orange version of the sea lemon, Peltodoris nobilis.

Near the Avalon Wreck, I found a tiny (1/4 inch) peanut worm, Sipuncula. This Berkeley site tells more about them: Introduction to the Sipuncula, by UCMP

Phil found what appears to be a different species of peanut worm at the Crane off Haggerty's. This one was about 3 inches long.

Parasitic copepods infest several fish at the Crane. At other sites, I seldom notice them except on giant sea bass and molas.

The "tails" on the copepods are actually egg masses.

The Crane is a great place to shoot chestnut cowries.

Rocks just south of the Crane have some nice sponges.

Roughpatch shrimp are abundant at the Crane.

We found very nice vis and classic Redondo Canyon critters near the Topaz Jetty.

Elbow crab

Pink Mouth Hydroid, Tubularia

Navanax inermis secretes a mucus tube through which it crawls when burrowing through the sand. This one's tube measured ~12 inches.

Janolus barbarensis

Red Rock Crab

blue_pixel.gif

Follow Ups:

blue_pixel.gif

Awesome series! Really like the cowrie closeup and the janolus. I wonder what has caused the copepod infestation on the crane?

Every time I see a sheephead with the parasites crawling on its face, it freaks me out a bit.

Back
Top Bottom