Xen Depth Accuracy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandon

Shop Independent Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone having issues with the depth accuracy of their Xen? During a tech dive today, my buddy signaled me at roughly 150' to question why I hadn't leveled off yet. He had 162' on his Xen, and I flashed him mine, which clearly showed 148'. That's some 14 feet of difference.

Checked the backups and sure enough, he had 160' on his Uwatec, and I had 162' on my Suunto. I kept an eye on the two gauges for the remainder of the dive and noticed that the difference shrunk as we moved shallower, and they equalized again somewhere around 40' or so.

Yes, I confirmed that it was in saltwater mode, and there's no altitude at play here. Only irregular thing is that the battery needs to be changed and was in the yellow throughout the dive. Replacing the battery tonight and going to see if that makes a difference. Saw in the manual that soaking it in a bucket could cause problems if you went diving immediately afterwards - but it's been at least a week since I last soaked it. Current pressure is reading 997 on the Xen. NOAA says it's currently 1011mb in my area.

Any ideas would be appreciated - I'd like to think that my Xen displays an accurate depth, but today's dive demonstrated otherwise.

In thanks,

-B

Anyone having issues with the depth accuracy of their Xen? During a tech dive today, my buddy signaled me at roughly 150' to question why I hadn't leveled off yet. He had 162' on his Xen, and I flashed him mine, which clearly showed 148'. That's some 14 feet of difference.

Checked the backups and sure enough, he had 160' on his Uwatec, and I had 162' on my Suunto. I kept an eye on the two gauges for the remainder of the dive and noticed that the difference shrunk as we moved shallower, and they equalized again somewhere around 40' or so.

Yes, I confirmed that it was in saltwater mode, and there's no altitude at play here. Only irregular thing is that the battery needs to be changed and was in the yellow throughout the dive. Replacing the battery tonight and going to see if that makes a difference. Saw in the manual that soaking it in a bucket could cause problems if you went diving immediately afterwards - but it's been at least a week since I last soaked it. Current pressure is reading 997 on the Xen. NOAA says it's currently 1011mb in my area.

Any ideas would be appreciated - I'd like to think that my Xen displays an accurate depth, but today's dive demonstrated otherwise.

In thanks,

-B

Two Xen units should be within about 2 feet of each other at 160ft. Your atmospheric pressure is normal. What is the serial number of the units and how old are they? You can always send your unit in for re-calibration which should solve the issue (if there is one). Contact customer support through our website.

Eric Fattah

Support request submitted via the website on the 24th, but no response yet except for Rory's out of office message. Will wait to hear back.

My Xen is in the 200 serial number range and was purchased in April 2011; don't have buddy's serial number.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom