Xen setup was not fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Laconic

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was setting up my new Xen a couple of nights ago, and it made me want to punch the nearest Canadian. (Fortunately for me, I know some, but fortunately for them, they weren't handy.)

In the end, I got it done, and in retrospect, half of my frustration was just getting used to the tapping interface, and honestly, I look forward to diving with it, but guys: you need to keep your documentation updated so that it's consistent with the firmware, and consistent with your website (or else do some redirects so that the old links still work but go to the new page). Since the documentation isn't printed anyway, there's no excuse for it being inaccurate.

And jeez, why do I have to enter a PIN to activate it anyway? What is this, a credit card?

I hated the one I was using until I had someone familiar with it set it up ”properly” for me. Then I liked it quite a bit, that is up til I needed a battery for it... I bought a Petrel after that mess. The Xen would be a Great bottom timer if they made them more initially intuitive and had a simple/common easy to find battery.

Perhaps the battery situation has been improved since you had it? This was the one thing I didn't have any trouble with, and I know there were changes a couple of years ago. Putting the battery in was easy, I have a spare, and I got the rechargeables too. (This was one of the two things that soured me on my d6i; the battery only lasted two years, I couldn't change the battery myself, and it was viciously expensive to do so. The other thing was the visibility.)

Any recollection about how to set it up "properly"?

On another positive note, I like that you can tell it to run a simulated dive so that you can see how the display works. That's cool.

Depending on what color the connector was inside it used one of 3 different batteries, none of which were common sizes or easily sourced locally. The setup was a more user friendly and intuitive layout.

Sent via

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom