XS Gauge Reader Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuby-doo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi-

I am one of those people who has excellent vision. Until I got to be about 43, then I discovered I needed reading glasses. I do a lot of night diving, 90'+, and I cannot read my gauges clearly at night anymore. I read about the stick-on lenses, but they seem a bit expensive for something that I think will eventually come off. I finally took the plunge and ordered a Gauge Reader from XS (waiting for it to arrive). It seems like it would work OK. Anyone have any experience with this mask? I hope it does the trick!

Aloha

This is a good mask. We carry it in our shop and have many happy 40+ aged divers that need readers. I think you will enjoy the clarity of your gauges!! Yeah!

FWIW, I have the "stick on's" and they have been great for over 100 dives now. Even with mask removal drills they never budge.

...as my back-up mask and it does the trick better than a non magnifying mask.

I got it when I lost my perscription mask during a rough surf exit. :shakehead: My regular mask is an Atomic Frameless with bi-focal (sigh) lenses.

I love mine.

OK- I've been diving with the XS Gauge Reader mask for 2 months now and I have to say, I'm disappointed. The mask lenses work great - love those. However the mask skirt is very stiff, unlike many of the other masks on the market today (including my Oceanic Mako). It also has somewhat of a high profile - this especially becomes a problem when you exhale - if any bubbles hit the bottom of the mask, they unseat the mask causing it to leak. I gradually tightened my strap down to a point where it left a pretty obvious (and tender) mask groove around my face, but didn't really help the leaking problem. The weird thing is that the first time I dove with the mask, it was fine- I loved it! But now it's no fun. So it looks like I'll just get the stick-on diopters for my trusty Oceanic Mako

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom