XT fins in white?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too own the Apeks RK3 in white and black but find the XT to be a better all round fin.

Agree. I like the Apex, certainly more compact, & alittle lighter. They took a couple of dives to get used too, and when I use my XT's after a break they feel like stiff planks of wood. But in current when I need to kick through it, nothing compares with my XT's

I can drive through the water even with a slung 80 by my side much easier and faster than most other people, which I put down to the XT's rather than my skill or fitness

Must say I'm a little surprised at DR's lack of response to this thread and my emails, up until this time I've only ever had great customer service from DR. Has Kathleen left?

IMG_4456.JPG
Saw a picture of the red XT fins, I'll try to post it. Honestly I don't understand why people would make red gear, as it's the first color we lose underwater.

White ones I'd buy them without question!

Still quietly hoping...finding white apollos may be possible over here as they were once quite common. I wonder if you can retro fit the DR XT springs to them? I've seen plenty of blue ones come up on auction for almost nothing, might buy a pair just to satisfy my curiosity.

buckle is different i believe. i installed scubapro spring straps onto my pair of apollo fins using the original buckles.

I have a solution to you. Mask off the fins, leaving last 2" or 1.5" of the tips exposed. Use a white spray paint that adheres to plastic. Do a number of layers. In bad vis the tips will be well seen by people following you. If fins are new, might want sandpaper a bit the exposed area for better paint adhesion. For best look do a good job masking off the contour.

If you want a sparkle, you can finish off with tiny glass beads that will add additional reflections from a flashlight past the visibility/reflection of white paint.

I tried SOLAS tape but it did not survive well on tips. Perhaps you can use a few strips closer to the foot pocket where side ribs protect the surface more.

I know, not a perfect solution but helps to keep the favorite fins in use in low vis environments.

I have a solution to you. Mask off the fins, leaving last 2" or 1.5" of the tips exposed. Use a white spray paint that adheres to plastic. Do a number of layers. In bad vis the tips will be well seen by people following you. If fins are new, might want sandpaper a bit the exposed area for better paint adhesion. For best look do a good job masking off the contour.

If you want a sparkle, you can finish off with tiny glass beads that will add additional reflections from a flashlight past the visibility/reflection of white paint.

I tried SOLAS tape but it did not survive well on tips. Perhaps you can use a few strips closer to the foot pocket where side ribs protect the surface more.

I know, not a perfect solution but helps to keep the favorite fins in use in low vis environments.
Here is a picture of me swimming away from a wreck. I'm wearing black DR fins that have refeletive tape on the bottoms.
Mel leaving Monitor 2007-SharpenAI-softness-DeNoiseAI-clear.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom