Yap 2010 pix & trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

great photos and trip report. I am going to truk and then yap in September. What land excursions would you recommend?

What land excursions would you recommend?

In Yap, I liked the Village Cultural Tour. There's also a separate Land Tour you can do that one of our other guys did and said it was interesting. There's also a Mangrove Kayak Tour that a lot of people seem to like.

In Palau, if you get over to Pelilieu (and if Tanzy's on the island) do the Pelilieu land tour. Goes through alot of the WW2 battle areas and will also take you inside one of the Japanese caves.

And everyone should go to the Palau jail to look at the storyboards. Usually the ones made at the jail are the better ones and you can bargain on price a little bit. I used to deal with a guy there named Haynes, but he should have been released by now so not sure who's in charge. But even if you don't want a storyboard, just go to look and to have experienced going to the jail to do it.

Best souvenir shop is generally Ben Franks, a large department store on the second floor of a strip malla five-minute walk from the jail. And I always like to visit the Palau Aquarium before I start a trip, to give you a feel for the fish you'll see as well as they've got some good exhibits about the topography of the area. Plus you can go visit Fish 'N Fins who are next door.

- Ken

Ooops. I just rrealized you said Truk, not Palau. No recommendations for there, although you should get to tour one of the old Japaesne airstrips as part of the overall dive experience. As I recall, the one we went to was the one the Betty Bomber was approaching when she crashed.

- Ken

Thnx for the report

Back
Top Bottom