Yellowstone volcano goes BOOM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read that the caldera under Yellowstone was several hundred times bigger than the one at Krakatoa, which erupted in 1883 and caused an explosion equivalent to 200 megatons of TNT.
Be very afraid.

Dang, Hockey. I would have figured you more for a "look at the pictures" kind of guy. :rofl3:

Actually, the Yellowstone earthquake swarm is mimicing a similar swarm at Mt. St. Helens. They figure it is the result of recent subduction activity in the Juan de la Fuca (sp?) plate under the North American plate. When you get that kind of tectonic plate subduction, it generates a lot of heat (friction). That causes more melted rock which causes more magma which causes magma shifts in local magma chambers.

There is, however, a competing theory. Tracey's recent visit probably raised the local testosterone levels and consequent collective temperature levels enough to increase the magma and global warming in general. :D

Art

Dang, Hockey. I would have figured you more for a "look at the pictures" kind of guy. :rofl3:

Actually, the Yellowstone earthquake swarm is mimicing a similar swarm at Mt. St. Helens. They figure it is the result of recent subduction activity in the Juan de la Fuca (sp?) plate under the North American plate. When you get that kind of tectonic plate subduction, it generates a lot of heat (friction). That causes more melted rock which causes more magma which causes magma shifts in local magma chambers.

There is, however, a competing theory. Tracey's recent visit probably raised the local testosterone levels and consequent collective temperature levels enough to increase the magma and global warming in general. :D

Art

Believe it or not, after I discovered Playboy has articles, I decided to learn to read. My world has changed significantly. :wink:

Art

:rofl3::rofl3: I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks Art. :kiss2:

Now that you mention the plates, I remember our guide saying something about that and if they started moving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom