You thought Nurse sharks were docile?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My fingers once inadvertently ended up in a nurseshark's mouth. I wasn't hurt and neither was I impressed. The ns thought I was pointing out food for it, near as I could tell.

It's not polite to point. You were admonished.

LOL no doubt

its no different than any wild animal ,they are opportunistic and will take an easy meal especially if older or weaker ,people feed bears and think its cute but once they get a taste of an easy meal they keep coming back and then are tagged a nuisance and once that happens they are usually destroyed and then the funny thing people start crying for the animal on what they caused the problem in the first place,ive been goose hunting where coyotes hang around waiting for you to drop one so they can steal a free lunch

Without aggressiveness an animal goes hungry and dies. Lets not change the meaning of words to fit an agenda regardless of how righteous the agenda may be.

I'm not talking in a general sense about aggressiveness by animals in nature. I'm referring to the specific scenario stated where a nurse shark lunched on some lobsters that were 15' away from the diver. Aggressive behavior usually is directed towards someone or something. I didn't see anything in the story about the nurse exhibiting any behavior other than seeing a free lunch and taking advantage of it. Predatory, maybe, but I don't think predatory implies aggression, but that could be argued too.

I guess the lobsters' view may be different :) but then we'd have to label everyone at Golden Corral as predatory and aggressive.

I'm not talking in a general sense about aggressiveness by animals in nature. I'm referring to the specific scenario stated where a nurse shark lunched on some lobsters that were 15' away from the diver. Aggressive behavior usually is directed towards someone or something. I didn't see anything in the story about the nurse exhibiting any behavior other than seeing a free lunch and taking advantage of it. Predatory, maybe, but I don't think predatory implies aggression, but that could be argued too.

I guess the lobsters' view may be different :) but then we'd have to label everyone at Golden Corral as predatory and aggressive.

If the shark wasn't aggressive it wouldn't have eaten the lobsters. It was its natural aggressiveness that enabled it to attack and eat its meal.

What makes you think we are not? IMO there are no more aggressive or greater predators than humans. Just because some of us don't kill our prey ourselves doesn't change a thing. Those that do use tools to do the killing. Some just kill for the "sport".

I mentioned my 6lb dog chasing bigger dogs, people laugh and thinks it's cute. If he was 60lb he'd be called aggressive and someone would call the cops.

Are we categorizing feeding as "aggressive" behavior?

Yes I do consider feeding to be an aggressive behavior. And if you noticed I said not directed towards me. Aggressive yes dangerous or scary no.

Had similar situation in the Florida Keys. Nurse shark was aggressive about my lion fish. I figure if you are hunting and dangling dead or injured fish off your body, you are kind of fishing for bigger fish.
That guy should be ashamed for taking such a small hog fish too.

A nurse shark played a prominent role for a 2006 Darwin Award nominee: At-Risk Survivor: Shark Kiss
Since the diver in that story was not actually removed from the gene pool, he did not actually qualify for a Darwin Award. When I first read this years ago, it reinforced not only everything I knew about not molesting the wildlife, but also that even usually "docile" animals will defend themselves when they feel threatened.

As Macado said I have had an aggressive meeting with one in Cozumel.

3 people in our group had spears and one had just gotten a lionfish and fed it to a waiting scavenger.

Moments later the shark showed up and repeated rammed the 3 of us who had spears and ignored the rest of the divers entirely.

Thinking back... I think I was using Macado's spear that day so it must be his fault.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom