Your thoughts on this mask with fog wipers

Do you think that idea could sell?

• Yes

• Nope

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I want to share my idea and get your feedback on it.

Due to my interest in inventing stuff I've designed a diving mask that has fog wipers inside of it so that a diver could wipe the fog from inside when the mask fogs up. The fog wipers have handles that you can twist to wipe the fog. It's a really simple concept, but I haven't seen such a product online or in stores.

I'm quite happy with how my design works, proud even, to the extent that I was contemplating if I could sell such masks. The question I want to ask is do you guys think there would be a demand for such a product if I were to sell it? I mean I know that divers have their ways to defog masks, but I also know that at a slow rate the fog forms on the glass anyhow due to the temperature difference of your face and the water.

I'm not sure I can post any web links to external resources, but if you want to see how it works just type "Fog Be Gone diving mask" in YouTube and there will be a demonstration video.

What do you guys think?

There'd definitely be people buying that imho... After all, there's a market for split fins.

I see this more as a potential for leaks, and an obstruction in the field of view (might be wrong there, as the eye is quite capable of adapting and "forgetting" something that is placed just in front of it).

We have ways to defog them underwater, which is slightly more demanding that what you suggest, but without the potential leaks.

I wouldn't go for it, but there's probably people looking for that kind of stuff.

Hey, now, I kinda like mysp,it fins...unless I have to turn, go backwards, or enter tight spaces....come to think of it, I never dive in them, but they're great for swimming laps....

As far as lens wipers, I don't see it taking off. 2 simple, free tricks for clearing that usually work if your initial application of spit or defogger fail mid dive:

Take the mask off and lick the lenses

Keep a small amount of water in the mask and swish as needed.

That being said,
I wouldn't go for it, but there's probably people looking for that kind of stuff.

Agreed.

I would not buy something like this. As I see it, it is a overengineered solution of a simple problem. Just let some water in to the mask and clear the mask, voila the fog is gone. Without the need to add more gimmics, failure points and o-rings. That said there is probably a market for something like this amongst newly minted divers looking for their first mask and gadget freaks.

Edit: also the 30m depth rating of this mask makes this mask very limiting.

Last edited:
There'd definitely be people buying that imho... After all, there's a market for split fins.

I see this more as a potential for leaks, and an obstruction in the field of view (might be wrong there, as the eye is quite capable of adapting and "forgetting" something that is placed just in front of it).

We have ways to defog them underwater, which is slightly more demanding that what you suggest, but without the potential leaks.

Agreed - someone will probably buy them but it wouldn't be me.

Far simpler to deliberately partially flood the mask to clear the fogging and then clear it than rely on a mechanism that obscures part of the mask and as jboneng stated adds potential failure points.

Hello everyone, I want to share my idea and get your feedback on it.

Due to my interest in inventing stuff I've designed a diving mask that has fog wipers inside of it so that a diver could wipe the fog from inside when the mask fogs up. The fog wipers have handles that you can twist to wipe the fog. It's a really simple concept, but I haven't seen such a product online or in stores.

I'm quite happy with how my design works, proud even, to the extent that I was contemplating if I could sell such masks. The question I want to ask is do you guys think there would be a demand for such a product if I were to sell it? I mean I know that divers have their ways to defog masks, but I also know that at a slow rate the fog forms on the glass anyhow due to the temperature difference of your face and the water.

I'm not sure I can post any web links to external resources, but if you want to see how it works just type "Fog Be Gone diving mask" in YouTube and there will be a demonstration video.

What do you guys think?

I looked at the video and the execution looks good. I think you're justified in feeling proud about the design.

As for its utility. Personally I view it as a solution to a problem that does not exist. That said, it might actually have a (small) market. I'm often left perplexed by the things people buy and think are useful.

R..

May sell to new divers who like gimmicky things and have money to spend. I would surmise that most divers however would base their mask purchase more on quality and fit, and rely on the tried and true method of a little soap or spit to deal with fogging. You may have trouble selling enough of this niche product in a sophisticated market to make it economically viable considering the production costs, but at the right price, you may attract some serious interest.

Last edited:
I was ready to laugh but I looked at the video and it's not a bad idea. Won't work for me though as I have custom lenses bonded to the inside of my mask that have my bi focal script.
The other negative is the 100 ft depth rating.
Maybe it's more but I'm guess you are using some type of o ring seals that may compress too much and allow water in.
Nice work though for what it is and there is probably a market for it. Small but there.
So I voted yes but with the above notes.

Better idea than some like the BC that inflates itself that can kill someone.

Sounds like a solution to a problem that should not exist. That said, products such as Mcnett Sea Gold gel and others already have solutions to those struggling with fog issues.

If they sell you have a good chance with wipers IMO. Good luck

I applaud the work you did and hopefully you can make some money.

I will point out there's already a product that exists that works similar and doesn't have the challenges and limitations your product has. I've never had problems with fogging, but some people do and perhaps you can convert them to sales. There are always people eager to be separated from their money.

Amazon.com : Scuba Diving/Snorkel Mask FOG WIPER : Mask Defogger : Sports & Outdoors

Back
Top Bottom