Your thoughts on this mask with fog wipers

Do you think that idea could sell?

• Yes

• Nope

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FBG....how much of your superior vision do you lose??....

Watch MSNBC. Apply to go on SharkTank and see if they'll finance you.
Personally? No interest or need.

The amazon product example is a little slower but has less items to fail or leak. Just a simple magnet on the outside and another magnet on the inside with a wiping surface sandwiching the mask glass. Similar to aquarium cleaner magnet set-ups. The wiper is an idea some applications may find handy but with spit or simple baby shampoo coating the glass, fogging is not an issue. Some may buy it but it is an expensive solution to a low demand need. Then you have two additional failure points to worry about. There is a reason I have not seen a water purge valve on a mask since I was a child. Just another point of failure to add risk.

Echoing the previous posts. You should be proud of your invention. It's very cool, but I wouldn't buy it. It's too easy to use a little defog before the dive & then if needed, flood the mask with a little water. Plus, the additional points of failure and the loss of vision makes it more trouble than it's worth to me personally.

However, there may be some dive gadget lovers that buy it or perhaps snorkelers. I wish you the very best of luck.

I think that it would sell if it was made to a high enough quality that it wouldn't be prone to leaks. The video clearly shows that there was some thought put into its design and to me it looks like a solid product. While I have no use for it - I am sure many others would.

In fact I could never use that even if I wanted to. I have prescription lenses in my masks and unless you are going to double as a custom lens maker it would need to be retro fitted on - that is not a risk I am willing to take.

The market for a gadget such as this would be relatively small as well - so that is something to consider. Chances are the already existing defog market of products will make you unable to enter the market at high volume of masks, I do see the potential to sell a small volume of them to people who find them interesting.

So your clients would probably be: People who don't need prescription lenses, People who don't like defog and other gadget people like yourself.

Your clients would not be: tech divers, dir divers, gue divers, people who enjoy putting defog on, people who want to mitigate failure points, people who think if it's different it's a gimmick.

I think that your product falls into what I like to call the "spare air category" - An interesting product that isn't useful enough to edge out the competition. You're competition being defog. Spare air gets dominated by 6cf-13cf/14cf pony bottles.

Try and sell it! I would.

Probably someone will buy it, but many won't because there are much simpler ways to accomplish the same thing.

An issue with a mask like this, probably bigger than the prescription lens issue, is mask fit. Most divers try on many masks to find one that fits just right and doesn't leak. So if you're doing this feature in only one mask, your potential customers are limited to people it happens to fit well, or people (snorkelers?) who may not care as much that it fits perfectly. Now if you came up with a mask that magically fit everyone perfectly, you 'd have something. :wink:

FBG....how much of your superior vision do you lose??....
The fog wiper is situated above the eyebrow level, so it shouldn't obstruct your vision.

why do you specify a 100 ft depth limit on the website?
Because I haven't got enough testing data for other depths. I'd love to see what the real max depth is but for now I want to be on the safe side.

I'd like to issue as offer to the good people of this forum. Would you be interested in free samples just for giggles? Would be great to get some feedback on the thing. I mean you're losing nothing on this, so if anyone is interested PM me and I'll see what I can arrange.

FBG.....put me in for some/?one---------email me @ drjr52@yahoo.com to work things out.........tia

Just like others have said, not for me. I almost never have fogging problems after spitting in my mask and rinsing pre-dive. However, there's tons of more gimmicky stuff that people buy from dive shops. I would wager you'll make money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom