YS-D1 or UFL-2 Strobe for XZ-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

webstep1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to decide on an upgraded strobe for my XZ-1 / PT-050. I am having trouble determining which strobes work well with the XZ-1 and can use TTL or RC mode.

I currently have the XZ-1 in the Olympus PT-050 housing and a Sealife SL961 and PTWC-01 wide angle lens. I would like to add a second strobe that will work in RC Mode and then fire the SL961 for fill light as a slave to the first strobe if possible. Since RC Mode will not work with the SL961, I need to daisy chain the strobes instead of 2 cables from the housing.

I have an FL-36 land flash and it is a great flash - the UFL-2 is the same internals and from what I can tell the UFL-2 works well in RC mode but with just 2 AA batteries cycle time is slow. I have not been able to confirm if the UFL-2 has a second fiber optic port for a slave flash.

Does anyone know if the UFL-2 can control a slave flash via fiber optic output (2 optical connections)? The XZ-1 is not that fast shooting RAW+JPG, is the UFL-2 recycle time that slow to be a problem?

The Sea & Sea YS-D1 looks like a very nice compact strobe but I cannot find much information on it's compatibility with the Olympus XZ-1. Their site states Slave-TTL mode will work but I cannot find much explanation on Slave-TTL mode.

Does anyone have any experience with the YS-D1 and XZ-1, does it work well? Is there anyother strobes that are known to work well with the XZ-1?

Thanks for the help.

Yes check carefully. I had an xz-1 and got rid of it quick because it would not sync with my ys-01s which cost more than the camera. The ys-01s and now my new ys-D1s work fine with my e-pl2 and now my om-d with TTL optical sync, but the xz-1 had something weird about the sync with sea and sea strobes.

Thanks, I had read about the problems with the YS-01 and Sea & Sea's compatibility page indicates a firmware update is needed. I was hoping that updates would be rolled into later units or at least into the YS-D1 since it looks like a very nice strobe - the compatibility page indicates DS-TTL II is not possible but S-TTL works but I am having trouble figuring out what S-TTL on the YS-D1 gives me.

---------- Post added December 27th, 2012 at 04:40 PM ----------

This camera works well with the Inon and Ikelite strobes in either manual or s-ttl modes.

I was looking at the Inon D-2000 as well but GN20 is fairly low and there was a compatibility note that TTL does not work with manual flash, using 1/64th in manual is for cycle time and battery life.

I can't speak for the inon d2000 but when shooting the xz-1 in manual mode, the flash must be set to force or full (can't remember what the wording is). You cannot set the flash to different power settings when shooting in manual and having the strobe set to s-ttl. If you want to use various power levels you need to shoot the strobe in manual

The YS-D1 works fine with the XZ-1. The UFL-2 does not work in RC mode, even though the camera has it.

i have a ys 110 alpha strobe and it works fine in manual mode, i have the camera in manual mode with the internal flash set to 1/64 power, this helps conserve power and recycle time. Unlike a previous poster that stated you cannot set the flash power in manual mode, you can do it. S & S strobes seem to struggle with TTL , but my 110 alpha fires everytime in manual mode. The YS D 1 is reported to work in TTL with the xz1. Manual is fine for my needs I haven't used TTL for a good while. For my money I'd go with a YS 02 as it is the same as a ys01 but with no focus/aiming light, the aiming light is for the most part useless as the strobe rarely points where is trying to fucus. I'd get a ys 02 and use it in manual and get a focus light. The only reason i have a ys 110 is because i already had it before i had the xz1.

i have a ys 110 alpha strobe and it works fine in manual mode, i have the camera in manual mode with the internal flash set to 1/64 power, this helps conserve power and recycle time. Unlike a previous poster that stated you cannot set the flash power in manual mode, you can do it. .

You did not read my response correctly. What I said was that you cannot have the internal flash set to different power levels if you want to use the strobe set to ttl.

If you want to manually set your strobe, you can set the camera's internal flash to whatever power you want.

The YS-D1 works fine with the XZ-1. The UFL-2 does not work in RC mode, even though the camera has it.

Does the YS-D1 only work fine in S-TTL or in the new DS-TTL II? I found this review of the YS-D1 and the conclusion was "results were spotty with the Olympus XZ-1".

The UFL-2 statement has me confused since the UFL-2 manual talks about RC Mode, it is basically an FL-36R land flash in a SnS housing and there have been a couple reviews talking about using RC Mode with 43 bodies and the XZ-1. RC mode should work.

---------- Post added December 28th, 2012 at 08:22 PM ----------

I got a chance to play with a friend's Inon S-2000. It worked well in every flash mode I threw at it, I just with it had some more power.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom