Zanzibar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We find that a lot of tourists visit Africa, totally ignorant of what things generally are like here.

Ek is nie 'n besoeker nie. Ek is 'n Stormers fan. (And I can pronounce your name properly). Like you I'm from Suid Africa and I never prejudge African destinations. I climbed Kili then went to Zbar. Diving was brilliant but I think that I feel safer driving a bicycle in Alexandra Township while wearing a gold Rolex than walking through the streets in Zanzibar. Drugs are out of control there. The rest of Tanzania was perfectly fine.

No more recent reports on the diving from Zanzibar? Apparently, I am going as an add on to a group safari. It is my understanding that we will be staying at a resort on NE side of island. Will have to make special effort/trip to check out Stonetown.

Again, no recent reports on diving there? While I going, there's still question as to lenghth of stay for diving. Will two days be good or will we enjoy so much, 5 dive days would be better? Anyone?

Zanzibar is an amazing place I worked there for a year in 2008at one of the biggest dive centers on the island.

Yes you do need to be careful, there are people who will want to steal from you the locals are paid very poorly and some decide to take the easy route to money. I personally never suffered any loss but the dive center I worked for was broken into one evening and the money, laptop etc stolen.

Being female there you need to respect the locals, cover shoulders and knees when out unless you are in a resort area where this is acceptable. This is easy to do. Be sensible, dont wander around alone at night with camera's etc on show.

I was based in Stone town, which is an amazing place, lots of small alleys and teaming with history, but not the safest place alone in the evening. The beaches to the north are more set up for tourists with hotels and private beaches, very relaxing.

Diving can be from stonetown, which are reefs and a couple of wrecks, nice dives and lots of life, from the north you can dive the Mnemba atol, everyone says it is the best diving and it is good, but I liked the area I worked in.
Down in the South West there is Kizemkazi where the dives are amazing, but more difficult to get around there and more basic.

I worked with One Ocean owned by Gary, he is a great guy with more than 20 years in Zanzibar and runs good dive centers in both Stone town, and on the East coast. He also manages a resort called Matenwe Beach resort on the East coast.

Dont just right the place off, but do be careful if you go.

Regarding the higly risk to travel in Zanzibar . I have to say that is not more that any other place in the world and following the guidelines that a good aware travel will know when moves in this kind of areas, Avoid the crowed touristic areas in the night, where alcohol and drugs mix up. I mean party as much you want but remember that you are not in your house. I been living for 2 years in Zanzibar and I ever been stolen or involve in any situition where I felt any real threat or danger for my security. I think that zanizibar is a great option not only for diving in east africa but also to relax after few weeks of hard work doing safaris. I can recommend you the East coast, where is located a quite population and great acomodation offer is call PAJE. I highly recommend The red monkey Lodge where they also can help you to book diving or any other activity you will like to do. Other option a little bit more expensive but really magic is jump to the nearby Pemba Island where diving is stonishing with great coral walls and plenty fish...One of the best think to enjoy it is the possibility to dive in areas where non one else is.

Fear is what keep us to discover great new places. Just be cautious and behave as a human been.

I don't want to revive an old thread, but I feel that a small counterbalance to the "gloom and doom, don't even think about going there" comments above is in order. This past Jan/Feb, I was on safari on Kenya and Tanzania for about 6 days each. Then about 5-6 days diving each in Zanzibar, Pemba and Mafia islands. I was in Stonetown for 2 nights. Nowhere did I "feel unsafe" as indicated in the posts above. I did not have anything stolen. I'm not much for nightlife, so walking around at night for me was minimal. I walked a lot in Stonetown during the day. I did not walk on the beach at night. Obviously, as a couple of comments above have noted, normal precautions must be taken, more so for women.

Which were the best dive sites out of those 3? There doesn't seem to be alot of info online about Tanzania diving and the highest rank I found was rank 46 for Mnemba Island. I've heard it's got 25-30m visibility and alot of variety but not unique compared to top 10 places like GBR, Hawaii, Fiji, Bali, Red Sea, etc...

I'll be in Zanzibar near Nungwi Beach and considering a night dive off it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom