Zena Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mistressmotorsports

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. My daughter just bought a used Zena that is in fantastic condition, but seems a little older than the current model. Hers has plastic D rings, metal buckles on the cam bands, and no rear trim weight pouches. It's a size small. Can anyone enlighten me on the approximate vintage of this unit? Also, is the lack of trim weight pouches due to the vintage, or is it because the BC is a small size? Thanks for any info,

Mike

The metal buckles on the cam bands had to have been added after-the-fact. We have never sold one that way.

The rear weight pockets may have also been removed, but you can add them, if you wish...they are part # 8051Z.

We started making the Zena, as best I recall, around 2002. Yours is probably in the '02-'04 range, if I had to guess.

Thanks,

Scott

Does your daughter know how to adjust and position her Zena appropriately? It makes a HUGE difference in how the Zena feels and performs when it is worn properly.

If I remember, you are supposed to start from the bottom, right? Since she JUST got it, we haven't been in the water yet. If you have any tips, we're all ears and would greatly appreciate advice. Thanks!

Oooh, it's been a long time since I've been able to post my "Zena tutorial"! :D

Yes, the Zena should be tightened from the bottom up. Steps are as follows: 1) Loosen ALL the straps; 2) pull the Zena down from the front bottom sides of the main part, not the front panels; 3) Tighten the lower straps completely (should sit at the hips); 4) Tighten the middle straps so they sit at the waist and under the ribs; 5) snug up the shoulder straps, there's no need to "tighten" them.

As far as I'm concerned this process is best done underwater when you're horizontal since that's your diving position. I find it impossible to get the right adjustment on land (or boat) with a tank on in a vertical position (sitting or standing).

So on land what I do is pull it down as much as I can, adjust from the bottom up, but if I'm shore diving I'll tighten my shoulder straps ALL the way down as it makes the tank for stable for me, if I'm boat diving, I tighten them about 1/2 way down (a bit more than their final adjustment) so I can get my tank stable.

Once in the water, I go horizontal during my descent, loosen all the straps and set my Zena in place. Takes all of about 10 seconds at the most. Once the Zena is properly positioned and adjusted, there should be ZERO tank roll or BC movement. The Zena should literally fit like a corset, which are very fitted to the body, snug but not tight.

I'd recommend strongly that you consider purchasing the new Zena lumbar pad and add-on pocket that Scott debuted earlier this year. The pocket is great because it goes on and off easily and can be used only when you need it (I use it for night diving mostly), and the lumbar pad fills the lower back space beautifully and for me makes my tank a bit more comfortable.

Hope this is helpful!

I have a new zeagle zena and agree it is easiest to "fit" when underwater and horzontal.

But how snug should it fit? I have a small, and I tighten all the belts to the end and I still feel like the tank is rolling. I neve rthought I'd be an extra small- am 5'4. 125 lbs.

Could it be that I got the wrong size? I love my zena otherwise. I fear the shop may not exchange it for a different size.... I bought it over a month ago from LDS.

If you still have tank roll, you need a smaller size IMO. Your straps should only be tightened 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down to be tight, giving you a bit of room for thinner or thicker suits. It's too bad your LDS didn't fit you right to begin with. Zeagles are modular and meant to have the components mixed and matched to achieve a perfect fit. I'd bet you should have a small front and shoulders with an EXTRA small vest section.

If your LDS won't stand behind their lousy fit advice and swap out the one section, you could try adding a lumbar pad to take up a bit of space. It might be all you need to get your fit perfect, and honestly I recommend everyone with a Zena get the lumbar pad anyway to fill in the lower back and add a bit more luxury. The lumbar pad is neutrally bouyant, so you don't have to worry about it making you "floaty".

How is the lumbar pad installed on the Zena? I see there is a velcro strip on the top but what about the bottom? Is there a velcro strip in the bottom so it is secure?

There's a Velcro strip that you fasten behind the section on the bottom of the Zena. It's easy once you line it up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom