Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Itsdavidyang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for comments on the ZHL8 ADT MB vs DSAT algorithm. I have an old Subgear XP10, which is now owned by Scubapro, and I’m pretty sure runs ZHL8 ADT MB. I know it has customization options which has been helpful, I’ve been diving with it on the more liberal side. I’m debating whether I should upgrade it while it has some trade in value for an Oceanic Veo 4.0, which can run the DSAT algorithm (along with PZ+). I don’t think DSAT can be customized, could be wrong though. Will I see a significant difference between the two? Should I just hang on to the Subgear until it’s dead?

Edit: this is for my for my backup computer, my primary is a Shearwater.

DSAT is very liberal while PZ+ is relative conservative than ZHL-8.
I dive with Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox(ZHL-8) and use Oceanic Veo 180(DSAT) as back up. The liberal algorithm is used for back up and not the other way round.

DSAT is very liberal while PZ+ is relative conservative than ZHL-8.
I dive with Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox(ZHL-8) and use Oceanic Veo 180(DSAT) as back up. The liberal algorithm is used for back up and not the other way round.
So am I correct in saying that ZHL-8 is in the middle between DSAT and PZ+?

Something like that. I believe that the ZHL-8 is closer to PZ+ than to DSAT.

I don't recall exactly but there maybe an option to make DSAT one stop more conservative. Check the manual which should be available online.

I would keep the older computer as a back up (use the more conservative computer as the main and the more liberal one as the back up). I dive with at least one back up dive computer ALWAYS!

I would keep the older computer as a back up (use the more conservative computer as the main and the more liberal one as the back up). I dive with at least one back up dive computer ALWAYS!
Thanks for the input. My plan is to have use one of these computers as a secondary, my primary is a Shearwater. Trying to determine if I should just hang on to the XP10 until end of life or move on to an Oceanic Veo or something like that. I’m not familiar enough with the algorithms to know if it’s going to be a big shift to upgrade or not.

Hi @Itsdavidyang

What GF high do you run on your Shearwater? That is a major determinate of choosing a useful backup. As pointed out, the backup needs to be the same or more liberal or it will control the dive. You must already know how your Subgear computer runs relative to your Shearwater. If it is not limiting, it is a fine backup.

ZH-L8 ADT is generally considered moderate or middle of the road in the conservative to liberal spectrum. PZ+ is also considered moderate, somewhere around a GF high of 85. DSAT is considered liberal, somewhere around a GF high of 95. These algorithms run first clean dive and repetitive dives differently and are not interchangeable.

Why not just get a backup running the same algorithm as your primary? It doesn’t necessarily have to be another Shearwater, although that’s what I’ve done.

YES.
I dived with all three computers(DSAT, PZ+ and ZHL-8) couple of times to confirm my OWN observation.
DSAT is definitely the most liberal/aggressive.
If you are going to use any computer with adjustable GF than please make sure the setting is more conservative than the back up that you are using. Because you do not want the back up gone to deco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom