Divemaster & AI/IDC in Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YLpharaoh

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm planning on going to Sharm in Late March to work towards a career in instruction. I've got my AOW thus far with 20 dives logged. I will be there for months at least, between courses and gaining enough dives under my belt. I've been on three dive trips to Sharm in the past so I'm somewhat familiar with the area. Has anyone on this board done anything like this in the region. I just found out that the center I'm diving out of does not have rooms for rent anymore. They used to have hostel type air conditioned rooms for $10 a night which I could easily handle till I found a flat to rent. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Any info or suggestions out there?

If you want somewhere cheap to stay then don't go to Sharm. Dahab has plenty of hotels for under $5/night and huts for about $2. Hurghada has some similarly priced hotels. When I spent a few months in Hurghada I shared a flat with a few others and it cost well under $1/night.

There probably are flats for rent in Sharm (The locals must live somewhere) but they are much easier to find in Hurghada.

Depends what you like, really. Dahab is peaceful, but pretty small, Sharm is lively and cosmopolitan, but expensive and Hurghada feels a lot less like a holiday resort, but it is a concrete jungle with no shore diving.

Thanks alo for that info. Very helpful. I would definitely rather be in Sharm but at least now I know that if the funds start to run low, I can fall back on Dahab, which isn't too much of a compromise from what I remember of the waters. Then again I've only ever snorkeled their

Thanks again Nick.

i'm planning a similar trip, but the escalating conflict between the u.s. and iraq has got me concerned that tourism will drop drastically, causing a severe lack of tourists which are helpful when it comes to guiding dives. anyone know if egypt is too sketchy (empty) this spring/summer?

leolo

Sorry to say tensions in the region are already having an effect. Have been ever since the Intifada began in September of 2000.

Just came back from Dahab a few weeks ago and had, he said euphemistically, 'no trouble finding a room.'

It seems much the same situation as during the Gulf War.

From August, 1990 until March of '91, there was little diving acitivity. I was on many boat trips during that period with just two or three divers on board. That was in the beginning. Later, quite a few operators stopped sending out boats because they weren't beginning to cover expenses.

But things did pick up afterward - a lot.

What will the future hold? Guess you know the answer as well as I. The dive industry in Sharm has been through something like this before. And more than once. It's just that, IMHO, the outlook for the next few months is not that bright.

Larry

Things are slowing up here at the moment, particulary in the last few weeks and expected to stay slow for another month at *least*. I'd guess they might, if this so-called war is short enough pick up again around end may/june.

Quite a few instructors using the time to take their holidays, some centers doing terrific deals at the moment through their travel agents. Walk in counter prices seem have remains static surprisingly.

One bed appartments here, with air con, sattellite and tv, etc are going for around the $250,275. I've currently got large two bedroom with sea view over Ras Katy dive site for $550. Pretty sure Red Sea College still has their dorm accomodation going but haven't been in it since '94ish but was $10 then. Your find an appartment withing a couple of days at most, Camel Bar above the center have flyers advertising apartment agents who will help (dive center staff can generally put you in touch with someone or even someone who is looking for a flatmate)

Back
Top Bottom