SSI vs. PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got SSI certified in 1999 at one of the LDS. I'm awaiting my OW dive this month and i'll be PADI certified with an independent instructor.

Here's my experience.

SSI at a Dive Shop
-4 weeks, 1 classroom, 1 pool session each week. 1999
-Definitely felt the 'push' to buy gear. Almost to the point of knocking your gear to get you to buy new stuff.
-The final test was MUCH harder than the PADI test which was very easy.

PADI - Independent Instructor
-3 days - 2 pool sessions - 2006
-more personal attention since it was about 3 students
-Confined dives/pool dives had many more exercises than SSI.

I agree with others about PADI more about themselves while SSI is more about the Dive shop gear. Of course, the most important is the Instructor. Go with what you're comfortable with and use it as building blocks to really learn as you go.

I have taken PADI and SSI , both were very good classes and I feel both were good instructors. I never felt a push to buy equipment in either class. I like the approach that SSI had and may still have, that you had to have a certain # of dives before moving to the next level. I would take a class with either of them again. If you feel more comfortable with one I would take that one. I think that no matter the agency with a good instructor and you wanting to learn you will come out OK.

As far as SSI pushing gear, with my instructor he didn't pressure anything. He ever cracked jokes about how the manual was written in some areas that stressed certain jokes. I guess i'm trying to say, don't assume that b/c the manual sounds pushy the instructor will be pushy about equipment.

The LDS (which actually just closed down) where I was certified shoved gear down your throat, and they were PADI. If your gear was anything other than what they recommended it was unsafe, not going to deliver enough air on a 30' dive, and you would most likely die. The other dive shop in town is an SSI shop. I can browse in there all day without him saying a word. It all depends on the instructor. Find one you like and stick with them.

Take your time to research and find the best instructor in your area. Next, take time to complete the course. A good course will last several weeks. Don't rush this, it's something you can spend the rest of your life enjoying.

How do I find an above average course and how will I know I've found it?

Interview potential instructors. Most people never ask any questions beyond price. As the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for." Excellent instructors will usually have a higher priced class for a number of reasons. The instructor is dedicated toward providing you all the time you need to master necessary knowledge and skills. Extra pool time can be expensive. Keep in mind; the instructor is trying to make a living. His time is valuable.

Consider alternatives. While many instructors teach through dive shops, some of the best are independent instructors or affiliated with colleges, universities or YMCA's.

Questions to ask the instructors:

How long have you been teaching? Most instructors improve over time. They learn new techniques and get ideas from other instructors and through experience to improve their classes.

Do you certify all your students? Only instructors who are in a hurry and care nothing about your safety will answer yes. You want an instructor who will require you to be safe and knowledgeable before issuing a c-card. An excellent instructor might tell you that he is willing to keep working with a student until the student either qualifies or gives up.

What skin diving skills will I learn? While there is some disagreement on this point, many professionals believe a solid foundation in skin diving will not only make you a better SCUBA diver, it will make learning SCUBA easier.

Will I learn confidence-building skills? There are some skills which have no direct application to a typical dive, but which do build your confidence as well as your abilities. This, combined with an understanding of the panic cycle, will make you much less likely to panic.

Do you teach the panic cycle? Panic is the most dangerous aspect of diving. Many instructors do not understand panic and believe there is no way to combat it. In actuality, panic is understood. It is though learning the panic cycle and by increasing skill levels that panic is avoided.

Do your students swim with their hands? This will let you know if the instructor pays attention to details. Good divers do not use their hands for swimming.

Do you work on trim? Divers should usually be horizontal in the water. Good instructors will see that students are striving towards good trim. Poor instructors often neglect it.

Do you overweight your students? Many instructors overweight students. It is not a good practice.

What method do you use to correctly weight your students? Any answer that does not involve actually getting in the water means you want to avoid that instructor.

How many people will be in my class? Small classes are better. You'll have more individual attention. Unless the instructor is using certified assistants, more than four students are difficult to watch.

How many certified assistants will you be using? Unless the class is relatively large (more than 4 students) this should not be an issue. An instructor should have a certified Divemaster or Assistant Instructor for every two students over four. There are times when divers working on their Divemaster or Assistant Instructor certifications assist with a class. This is normal and not an issue, but they do not count toward the assistants an instructor should have when working with larger classes.

Will I be learning skills kneeling on the pool bottom or mid-water? This question is not critical, but will let you know if you've found an instructor who has a great deal on the ball. The over whelming majority of instructors (even good instructors) teach skills kneeling on the bottom. Don't eliminate instructors who do. Some instructors have realized your mask will flood while you are swimming, not when you are sitting on the bottom. You need to learn skills in the manner in which you'll be using them.

Do you dive for fun or just when you are teaching? Instructors who've stopped diving for fun are burned out.

Questions to ask yourself:

Is the instructor patient? While talking with your potential instructor, you should be getting a feel for his personality. Patience is an important quality for an instructor. You want to avoid instructors with a drill sergeant demeanor.

Would I be happier learning from a man or a woman? Only you can answer that question, but in general it is not usually a serious consideration. There are excellent instructors and there are poor instructors. Men and women fall into both groups.

Al Mialkovsky:
Boils down to the instructor, not the agency.

Bingo!!!

Who cares about the agency? Just show your skill, not the collected cards :wink:

By the way, welcome to the Board :D

To start - SSI HQ is located in Colorado and PADI HQ is in California. Oh and by the way they have different people working in each location.

Re-read Walter's post. As usual, he's spot-on.

duscster3d made comments early on regarding PADI allowing instructors to setup shop in their garage, basement, etc. as if this is a bad thing.

I have setup shop in my home due to the fact that I have audited the several LDS's (all PADI as the nearest non-PADI shop is 60 miles away), and they did not meet MY standards. They meet PADI standards but not mine.

Were I an SSI instructor, I would be required to travel 120 miles round-trip to teach a class. What if that shop did not meet MY criteria for teaching? At $2.55/gal for gas at 20mi/gal, that's $15 per trip of the $40 I would make for the entire class. By the time certification was through, I would have ended up PAYING over $75 just for gas to teach the class.

Remember this, PADI, SSI and most other training agencies adhere to RSTC (Recreational Scuba Training Council) MINIMUM standards. Each agency varies somewhat on what each requires, but their standards are MINIMUM requirements.

My reason for being an independant, is that PADI allows me the flexibility to teach more than the minimums.

This is where the importance of the instructor/shop comes in to play. If the agency minimums are all that is taught, chances are you will be, shall we say, less than thrilled once you see how other divers dive after you are certified.

If you find an instructor/shop that believes in truely teaching you how to dive, you will get more confidence, competance and enjoyment from the experience.

Use Walter's post as an interview sheet for prospective instructors, whether they are affiliated with a shop or independant.

Working through a shop does not guarantee any better education than not. Many times instructors are limited to how much time and training they are allowed based on the shops need to produce numbers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom