Which housing for vx2100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shekes

Contributor
Reaction score
B&H has about five different housings for the Sony DCR-VX2100 camcorder. I read that EWA's bags leak and Light & Motion I just cannnot afford. So my options are either Ikelite (rated to 200', USD1400), Equinox (rated 250', USD1250) or an Epic that costs only 300 but cant go deeper than 30 feet.

I am a total beginner and have no clue about housings. Hell, I can barely use the cam.:confused: I am not planning on buying lights or any other accessories. Mainly I snorkel along the coast. But I do dive as well and I definitely don't want my cam to get wet.

Does anybody have a recommendation?

part of the problem is that is a really large camcorder. You might be better off getting a smaller camcorder and a smaller housing is possible. Trust me, size does matter.... they get very awkward and heavy, lightening the load will help with the price also. For a few hundred dollars you can get a mini-dv.

As far as which housing to get, since you aren't doing alot of diving with it, I would look for an Ikelite housing. They are very reliable and economical, too.

robint:D

I agree with Robin about downsizing, where we differ is on what.

Ebay your VX-2100, they're currently selling for $1700-1800 and buy an HDV camcorder. As good as the footage from your VX-2100 is, (I've shot several VX series cameras in the last decade) HDV is just better at 1080I.

Your VX is a 3-chip CCD so downsizing to a single chip Mini-DV model might be a little disappointing in the picture quality - so I'd go HDV. Got an HDTV? footage straight from the camera is stunning!!!.

The problem with trying to house your camera for diving/snorkeling is that any of the housings you listed will be larger and heavy.

Mechanical housings run bigger since they need room (airspace) for the linkages so then you need more weight to compensate. My buddy has an older TRV series MiniDV camera in an Ikelite clear/red tube housing like the one for your VX-2100, it's heavy and bulky - must be 20lbs. or more. My Amphibico EVO by comparison - an all Aluminum housing - weighs 10lbs. Of course my housing cost around $2500.

For $1930 you can buy a Canon HV20 single chip HDV camera in an Ikelite housing from B&H. Or $1675 for the HV20 with an Equinox ProPak 6 housing. Read the review at camcorderinfo.com.

$1459 buys the Sony HDR-HC5 in an Equinox housing. Also consider getting the bigger sensor in the Sony HDR-HC7 in the Equinox housing for $1999. Although it has some low-light issues.

If I was doing a lot of snorkeling/freediving, I think I'd go all out and buy a Seatools housing. They're machined but absolutely molded around the camcorder, you could almost put it in a big BC pocket. They're more money at around $2500-2700 but are only 3lbs. and a tiny 7x7x4". They make one for the Canon HV10, the Sony HC series and some of the Sony SR series HDV camcorders. But then you're still looking at another $1000-1400 for the camera.

The Ikelite for the Sony HC7 at 9lbs. is 1/2 the size/weight of the housing for yours - H20Photopros sells the housing for $1250. It's the newer design Ikelite housing built around a 4" square tube instead of the round one your VX-2100 requires.

The ewa bags and the Epic housing are just weather protectors - designed for surf and kayak filming. I wouldn't trust my $2K camera to either one - and they don't have the depth rating to be useful. Even Epic says so:
Epic Camera Housings are designed primarily for use in or near the water. They are recommended for snorkeling, surfing, boating, shallow dives, and any other situation where you camera could come in contact with water.

hth,

Guys! :confused::confused::confused: I was already somewhat confused because I had no idea what housing to buy for my cam, and now I have to first sell my cam and than decide which housing and which cam to buy!

I realize that you are right though. Previously, I was so focused on price&quality I didn't even look at the weights and the dimensions of these things. Now I saw that they weigh 20/30lb and the Ikelite housing is a cube with sides over a foot wide/long/high each.:shakehead: I'll have to take your word for the awkwardness in the water. But I can see for myself that it would be a problem just to get it there. They'd be too big/heavy as a carry-on and won't even fit in my Pelican case.

On the bright side: if I can get $1600 for my cam, I might really part with it...

However, the more I think about it, the more I am inclined to get the Epic and limit my videographic acitvities to snorkeling and splashing around. Being a total beginner I might be better off to start small... And I like the vx2100, it rewards my lack of skill with nice footage. I don't know...:confused:

Two questions:
The Epic claims to test to 60'. Do you think it would really hold to the rated 30'?

And, Steve, I don't have any HD devices. Which smaller cam would be as forgiving as mine?

Thanks a lot! I am really glad I asked!

Two questions:
The Epic claims to test to 60'. Do you think it would really hold to the rated 30'?
No idea all I know about them is what I've read on their website. Someone here has one, there were some posts about it last year.
And, Steve, I don't have any HD devices. Which smaller cam would be as forgiving as mine?
All of the Sony HDR series HDV camcorders have an "Easy" button:
Using a camcorder can be intimidating for some people, so with a press of the Easy Handycam Button, most of the advanced features of the camcorder are "locked out" leaving only the buttons essential for recording operational.
HDV footage looks better on an SD monitor also since there's more lines of resolution than broadcast. Even downconverted HDV looks better in SD.

My 2 cents is not to trade in a 3ccd camera for a 1ccd deal whether it's HDV or not. If you take a true 1080i image and try to focus it on an SD monitor every shot will most likely be out of focus because you can't focus pixels you can't see. That's just how it is. But I'm still customizing my housing right now and have not had a chance to shoot u/w video yet. I have a housing for my Panasonic DVX100 and it weights 35lbs without the camera. Hey guess what! It's neutral in the water, so weight usually only makes a difference when carrying it around on the surface. Personally, I'm not an HDV fan because it's a compression that does not agree with the work I do and it's not true HD. It's more of an appetizer for the consumers.

Good luck with your purchase and don't just a housing by it's weight!

Billy

I am NOT telling you to sell your current camcorder. Use it topside. I was thinking, since you say you have limited $$$ and only use it snorkeling or occasional dive, it would be more cost effective to get a small non-HD camcorder and housing.

Sjspeck, not everyone can afford top-of-the-line when they are just starting out. He said he is a beginner so I was recommending an entry-level setup. I have exactly what I was recommending and it has been great for me the past 2 years. I will be upgrading to a higher performance, probably HD camcorder and matching housing in the next year, but for now my "beginner" rig works just fine.:D

alright, I get it now.

Simple question: which is better, Equinox or Ikelite?

I am NOT telling you to sell your current camcorder. Use it topside. I was thinking, since you say you have limited $$$ and only use it snorkeling or occasional dive, it would be more cost effective to get a small non-HD camcorder and housing.

Sjspeck, not everyone can afford top-of-the-line when they are just starting out. He said he is a beginner so I was recommending an entry-level setup. I have exactly what I was recommending and it has been great for me the past 2 years. I will be upgrading to a higher performance, probably HD camcorder and matching housing in the next year, but for now my "beginner" rig works just fine.:D

I wasn't suggesting he buy top of the line. Take the time to review the suggested packages in my post. Most could be purchased entirely with the proceeds from selling his existing camera. I suggested them since it would get the OP a much smaller rig to use for snorkeling/diving - something that you suggested also:
part of the problem is that is a really large camcorder. You might be better off getting a smaller camcorder and a smaller housing is possible. Trust me, size does matter.... they get very awkward and heavy, lightening the load will help with the price also.
Where we differ is that your suggestion (another MiniDV/housing) costs the OP more money for worse performance than he currently can obtain by housing his 3CCD VX2100. Realistically you're looking at $900 for a new Ike housing and $3-400 more for a MiniDV camera. Might as well just spend the $1500 for the Ikelite housing for his VX.

Or follow my previous suggestion which replaces his camera with a newer HDV camera and housing at no extra cost to the OP - assuming it sells on eBay at what others are.

Simple question: which is better, Equinox or Ikelite?
For your existing camera? Either one. IMO they're direct competition for one another.

Points to consider:

The Ikelite won't let you open the LCD screen normally while in the housing, if you invert it and flip it back against the camcorder (can the VX do that?) it might be difficult to view through the curved side wall of the housing.

Equinox allows you to open the LCD in the housing.

Upside of the clear tube Ikelite - you might notice a leak earlier.

A divebuddy has an Ikelite housing similar to their VX model. He's never mentioned any problems with it. I handled it one day, it's very well balanced.

Equinox seems to have upgraded their product line recently. At least their front ports look different now. I've never actually used one - I inspected one thoroughly at a show once as I was considering buying one. But there wasn't a camera in it.

In the last couple of years I've seen maybe 3-4 posts about problems with Equinox housings here or in other u/w video forums. Nothing significant...

Ikelite used to have a saying: "Legendary Reliability" - I believe that...I can't ever recall hearing about an Ikelite housing leaking except through possible human error. And their controls are bulletproof, DIY'ers buy old Ikelte housings on eBay to salvage them.

my .02 - maybe Billy can post about his Equinox Pro8.

Back
Top Bottom