Tonka97's Five Scenarios for John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you OK?

:11:
I am not the one obsessing over libeling John Chatterton.

The BEST thing about ScubaBoard is that we are the world's LARGEST sandbox for Scuba Divers. But nothing chaps my shorts more than one person bent on making the sandbox unfriendly for someone else, a manufacturer or an agency. These POV warriors will stop at nearly nothing to continually foist their toxic agenda on us, over and over and over and over again. Just like Charlie Brown in the song they keep asking "Why is every body always picking on me?"

These trolls do harm to the entire industry and they preclude us from getting to interact with some really cool people. The only things they really end up proving is that they are obsessive, short sighted and mean! These diatribes marginalize the entire community of ScubaBoard and inhibit legends and manufacturers alike from coming aboard! Somehow, these POV warriors think they have the right to piss in our cornflakes and expect us to somehow grin and bear it.

I hope that John makes it over here, but NOT to trade barbs with the likes of Tonka. It was GREAT to see John in a :sblogo: shirt when we were down there with Matt in Key Largo. He was truly grateful that we all chipped in to help make Matt's diving dream a reality. John has given a LOT to help Matt out with no interest in what's in it for him! Unlike Tonka, he has made a real difference in the life of a fellow ScubaBoardian!

From Amazon:
Shadow Divers Exposed: the Real Saga of the U-869: Books: Gary Gentile

"Shadow Divers Exposed works on a multitude of levels. It presents the actual circumstances that surrounded the loss of the U-869...

You ridiculously quote "From Amazon" as if it were some proof source, providing conclusive support for this book as presenting "actual fact." Unfortunatley (though not surprisingly) the sole "Editorial Review" posted on Amazon consists of the publisher's own description of the book. Since the book came hot off a vanity press that means the "Editorial Review" posted on Amazon was written by none other than Gary Gentile himself. (Take a look on the "publisher's" website and you'll see the same text: Gary Gentile Productions - Shadow Divers Exposed)

So you're citing Gary to support the veracity of Gary's version of the story? I suppose that's consistent with the overall premise of Gary's book: Gary's version must be true, because it's GARY'S VERSION.

You ridiculously quote "From Amazon" as if it were some proof source, providing conclusive support for this book as presenting "actual fact." So you're citing Gary to support the veracity of Gary's version of the story? I suppose that's consistent with the overall premise of Gary's book: Gary's version must be true, because it's GARY'S VERSION.

By the same rules observed on this thread, you appear to have an incredible HATRED of one of our living diving legends, Gary Gentile. There has been a LOT of vitriolic attacks upon Gary in this thread; none of the SB posters have realized the irony of the double standard.

Inclusion of the SD Exposed description was intended only to summarize the contents, not to serve as bolstering evidence. Shadow Divers Exposed has the supporting evidence and insights.

My principle point continues to be:
Read and enjoy Shadow Divers AND Shadow Divers Exposed, and THINK for yourself.
Don't be intimidated by media crafted 'superstars' or their promoters.

:lotsalove:

By the same rules observed on this thread, you appear to have an incredible HATRED of one of our living diving legends, Gary Gentile. There has been a LOT of vitriolic attacks upon Gary in this thread; none of the SB posters have realized the irony of the double standard.

You realize you that you are the only one in this tread talking about hate. You think everyone is saying you are a hater and then you call other posters haters and say they are making vitriolic attacks. When the poster above just called you out and said you used Gary's own review of his book say his book is true. How is this guy making a vitrolic attack? By the way of course we know Gary thinks his book is the truth.

I am not sure if it is dislike of John that is driving you or some kind of affection for Gary. :confused: I am starting to lean toward some kind of affection for Gary. You should send him an email with a sampling of your posts about him. Let the legend speak and see if this is how he wants his name brought up in public forums.

I am thinking if you don't, then I am tempted to do it for you. He should know what his fans are saying about him and others.

Yes I have read the thread and when it comes to this topic you are overly emotional and very irrational as well as extremely defensive and accusatory towards others. Go back and read the thread and you—well at least others who read the thread will understand exactly what I am talking about.

Let me give you a challenge since you like giving challenges. Print out this thread. Approach someone that doesn’t know you very well or even a complete stranger. Mark out the names if they know you as Tonka. Don’t tell them which poster you are or give them any back ground at all. Have them read the thread. Any non-diver will do. Ask said stranger or acquaintance to tell you what they think of each posters tone. I say non diver because you are more likely to get people who do not have a feeling one way or another about either book or said divers.

Tell them you are doing some kind of research experiment and you at tabulating how various people pick up on things and comparing the results of things men pick up on in social interaction as well as what women pick on and also what communication styles that various groups either find acceptable or offensive.

If you take me up on this challenge, you should delete this post after the first paragraph, so they don’t know that someone challenged you to do this.

I think what you hear might be quite shocking to you.

Merry Christmas to you as well. And I hope you have a Happy New Year too! :)

All,

Rob Kurson is an extremely talented writer, and Richie and I were incredibly fortunate to work with him. Rob's initial goal was to write a popular book, a bestseller and he did exactly that. It became #2 on the NYT Non-Fiction Bestseller List. Random House has printed about a million copies, an audio book, and last time I checked there were 21 different foreign language versions. Rob made Shadow Divers a successful book.

It was never our intention to write a text book, a history book, or a reference book. You cannot fit the entire story of the Battle of the Atlantic, the story of several Uboats and their crew members, as well as the life stories of a bunch of wreck divers, into a 300 page book. This is just a fact of life.

Rob, as the author, selected what went in and what was left out. The book is Rob's perspecive of events. All authors do this. Rob is a ruthless researcher and there are things in the book that do not coincide with my recollections, but are written as told to Rob by third parties (like my ex-wife, or other divers). He evaluated the credibility of his sources to determine what he felt was most accurate. If you want a bunch of boring minutia, this book is not for you. Rob wrote a very dramatic rendering of a true story.

I have read though this thread and it covers a lot of ground. I recognize some of the posters and appreciate all the nice commets. I certainly don't have the time to beat a dead horse, but I can't help but wonder what 5 issues Tonka has with Shadow Divers??? Why 5?

If Tonka posts his 5 questions about Shadow Divers, I will do my best to answer them here.

Cheers

Where's Tonka???

JC...If I recall correctly you were under the weather on the Sunday dive to the Hutton during Mike's memorial dives...Just want you to know I was sick as hell with bronchitis for 2 weeks after the Sunday dive...I blame you totally:wink: Good seein you as usual....

Oh...Send scallops:)

Bobby....

As you challenge stands--so does my offer to hold a B-Q in his honor. I don't either one of us have a great chance of this coming to pass, but I think I might have a better shot of hosting the B-Q than John taking you up on your duel!

Well John, it looks like you answered or are willing to answer Tonka, so I guess he in fact had the better chance of getting you to post.

If you ever make it to Dive the Attakula Lodge at the bottom of Jocassee, I will keep my offer of a B-Q open. It would be an honor to have you take a dip in what I consider my home waters. I am still a noob learning to dive, but I am close to mastering the after dive cookout and food spread.

OK Tonka....let 'em rip..you got your chance!
Actually, lets NOT 'let'em rip' - at least not the way we've been going.

With great respect to all concerned, lets keep this thread civil.

Lets have no ripping on people or other intermural bozonity.

Thanks,

Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom