CO2 Retention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some migraine sufferers have a clear syndrome of prodrome/aura, specific localization of the headache, photophobia and nausea, and response to certain medications that would render the headache fairly recognizable. Many other people report "migraines", when they are having tension or nonspecific headaches. These would be difficult to distinguish reliably from CO2 intoxication, although a pattern of headache post-diving might suggest CO2 problems.

I think a LOT of new divers get CO2 headaches, because they haven't developed an effective breathing pattern underwater, and their buoyancy tends to be erratic.

While I fall in the category of classic migraine headache sufferers, sometimes with auras but sometimes without, always have the photophobia, and am practically immobilized by the intensity (the only worse headache I ever experienced was when I had to be hospitalized with acute bacterial meningitis this past Winter), I am uncertain of the fellow in my class who had this particular "migraine headache."

Does the CO2 toxicity often present as nausea also? I ask because my dive buddy and former classmate suffers nausea after most of her exertional dives.

Looking back I think I may have taken a C02 hit. I'm not sure it was just C02, or perhaps a combination of factors, but I flat out had a panic / anxiety attack. It was my first night dive for AOW class, the water was cold, my wetsuit was a big tight and restricting me somewhat, and there was a pretty good surge.

I just forced myself to relax and get my breathing under control and the rest of the dive went fine. But at the time it was happening I was hyperventilating bad, and all I wanted to do was bolt for the surface.

Oh, and it came completely out of nowhere! I had already completed 1/3 of the dive without incident, then BAM, total panic hit.

A few comments and tips based on this thread:

If someone has a migraine with aura, go have themselves checked out for a PFO (Patent Foramen Ovale), otherwise known as an Atrial Shunt. You may be able to kill two birds with one stone.

Seadeuce

Why is that? Is there a connection between PFO and migraines with aura?

There is a casual correlation between migraine and PFO but nothing proven beyond that. And given the intrusive test and cost of a PFO check i wouldnt recommend it. Lots of people with migraine dont have PFOs.

Does the CO2 toxicity often present as nausea also? I ask because my dive buddy and former classmate suffers nausea after most of her exertional dives.

Yes. Often on the stop or back on the boat. Very very common to be physically sick even after a hit.

Looking back I think I may have taken a C02 hit. I'm not sure it was just C02, or perhaps a combination of factors, but I flat out had a panic / anxiety attack. It was my first night dive for AOW class, the water was cold, my wetsuit was a big tight and restricting me somewhat, and there was a pretty good surge.

Maybe a touch of narcosis too. CO2 can give "dark narcs".

There are a number of peer-reviewed medical studies that prove a direct relationship between people who are more prone to panic – those diagnosed with “Panic Disorder” – as having an acutely increased sensitivity to CO2 that CAUSES a panic attack. Studies show a significant percentage of the population has some form of “PD” or other anxiety disorder.

Surprisingly, I’ve never read anything about this in the literature of diving medicine - just the generality that CO2 can induce panic. But this phenomenon has been studied in above-water situations since at least 1986. Here’s some links:

Book that lists various studies, which also cites an Italian study that found genetic correlation between CO2 sensitivity and panic attacks.
Anxiety Disorders - Google Book Search

Study printed in the Sept. 2001 The American Journal of Psychiatry

1988: “Panic disorder, the ventilatory response to carbon dioxide and respiratory variables” published in Psychosomatic Medicine.

2002 in Canadian Psychiatric Association
“Carbon Dioxide Test in Respiratory Panic Disorder Subtype”

Some studies found that older people are less susceptible to CO2 induced panic attacks – conversely children are more sensitive to CO2.

This begs lots of questions.

I am no doctor, but if I suffered from migraine I would want to eliminate all possible causes.

Fortunately, I've had a full cardiac work-up and have a "99.9% perfect" heart per my cardiologist. I do suffer from atrial fibrillation whilst sleeping...thus the 0.1% deficiency, but otherwise, it isn't my heart that's causing the hurt in my head. :shakehead: I only found out about the a. fib. after I had started losing weight, and coincidentally, the incidence of migraines has decreased too. Not saying there is a direct correlation, but perhaps some obscure link.

Fortunately, I've had a full cardiac work-up and have a "99.9% perfect" heart per my cardiologist.

Again, I'm no expert, but I do know that an ECG will not pick up on a PFO.
One in four of us has a shunt, they're the stats.

Not being negative here, just pointing out what essentially should be broadcasted more in dive theory and lectures.

Seadeuce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom