Is Truk Lagoon only for advanced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I kind of agree with you, Ray
and, I did think about it

But, I tried for a few months to side sling my 19cf and I did not get on with it at all
There is no way I'll be able to sling the larger one

I'd rather just back mount my own

Counter intuitive as it may be, a 30 is easier to sling because of the way it rides. Done correctly - which isn't hard - you wont even know it's there. The last thing you want when penetrating wrecks is a bottle strapped on to your tank.

Counter intuitive as it may be, a 30 is easier to sling because of the way it rides. Done correctly - which isn't hard - you wont even know it's there. The last thing you want when penetrating wrecks is a bottle strapped on to your tank.

I concur, you would not even notice a 40 ft.

Thanks SS + Cal

27% - 28% = the 30% that they told me we would get :wink:

I also asked them about cylinders when I booked and the have the ali80 single or double and the steel 15s which must be the 119

I will take my 19cf pony with me as my redundancy

Reason for my question was really because on one trip my buddy wanted to drain her nitrox and get an air fill so that she could go deeper, the guides were not keen on this
Obviously, this is a necessity on SF

I understand how my computer behaves with regard to deco .... thanks

Vx

Your 19 will not provide much redundancy just FYI. Do the math:

If you drop into cargo hold one on the San Francisco Maru you will be about 185fsw, which equates to about 6.6 atm. YOU WILL BE NARCED. Your SAC rate if the poo hits the fan can easily be as high as 1 cuft/min. You will most likely be swimming hard and majorly worked up so I would even say you could be 1.5 times this. Calculating your consumption rate at depth put you sucking down 6.6 cuft/min (at 1 cuft/min SAC rate). You go into deco immediately at 175fsw so you will have a deco obligation. ASSUMING you can get back to the line, there will be bottles hung there (HUGE and unrealistic assumption). So your 19 is really just for show and is a false sense of security. Kind of like a spare air.

The guides on the Odyssey use single AL80's when diving the San Francisco Maru so the buddy system is not that reliable either (although they have some amazingly low SAC rates - especially Madison!).

The guides on the Odyssey use single AL80's when diving the San Francisco Maru so the buddy system is not that reliable either (although they have some amazingly low SAC rates - especially Madison!).

ON the dive being discussed, they are also carrying AL 80s that they are not using, just in case you need it.

When I did the San Francisco Maru, I had plenty of air for the dive plus deco obligations, getting on board with more than 1,000 PSI in my steel tank. (I think it was a 112.) Still, throughout my ascent, there were Odyssey guides at various depths carrying extra tanks with regulators in case I needed one. Finally, there was a hang bottle with multiple regs at the safety stop depth.

If you drop into cargo hold one on the San Francisco Maru you will be about 185fsw,

No one has any business dropping into the holds on the SFM at 185 on a single tank. (Except maybe the guides, who do this dive once a week for year in and year out.) Pony or not, it's just irresponsible. I was somewhat surprised at the folks on the Odyssey (passengers) who just wanted to do a "touch and go" dive to say they did it. On my second week we had quite a few folks who had no business down there. Yeah the crew stages AL80's from the bottom of the mast all the way back up, but even so... Lot's of bravado among one group, but I was more impressed with the guy from Chicago who said "nope, not for me..." The capt and crew were great and we did an early morning dive on something else nearby just for that guy.

I'm pretty sure Madison used one tank the whole frickin' week!

That said, I am surprised that the guides don't dive doubles if only to be carrying extra gas in case one of the guests has a problem. I would not want to be in the lower engine room of one of those wrecks and have a free-flow or something while diving a single tank. You're basically done.

We are all different ... what works for you may not work for me
and I don't want to have a config that I have not dived before

Agreed, but the recommended course of action might be to get a few dives in slinging a bottle before heading to Truk, instead of defaulting to something that you may "be comfortable with" but is clearly the wrong tool for the job.

You're going THAT far, spending THAT much money, for THAT kind of diving. Do it right - to coin a phrase.

:D

No one has any business dropping into the holds on the SFM at 185 on a single tank. (Except maybe the guides, who do this dive once a week for year in and year out.) Pony or not, it's just irresponsible.

Agreed Agreed Agreed!!!

I'm pretty sure Madison used one tank the whole frickin' week!

Yeah I swear that guy actually PRODUCES air while he dives!!!

We used doubles the whole week for redundancy since we were pretty deep down in the wrecks but I was surprised that they let single tank divers do that!

ON the dive being discussed, they are also carrying AL 80s that they are not using, just in case you need it.

When I did the San Francisco Maru, I had plenty of air for the dive plus deco obligations, getting on board with more than 1,000 PSI in my steel tank. (I think it was a 112.) Still, throughout my ascent, there were Odyssey guides at various depths carrying extra tanks with regulators in case I needed one. Finally, there was a hang bottle with multiple regs at the safety stop depth.

ABSOLUTELY FALSE!!! Sam, Madison and Mike were down there on single 80's when we were there and had hung a bottle at 30 feet.

So congratulations, you survived with 1000psi left in your tank. Now what would have happened if something had gone very wrong???????? NOT SMART!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom