Trip Report Part 1 - PG, Anilao, Coron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Trip Report Part 1- PG, Anilao, Coron, Jan 2010

PG
Arrived in Manila at 6 am and took a taxi from the airport to City state tower hotel in Ermita. A company within the hotel, Si-Kat, arrange transport to Sabang beach for 780 Php. A tourist class coach leaves at 8am from the hotel and took just over 2 hours to reach Bantagas pier. After a 1hr wait and 1hr boat ride i arrived in clam central on Sabang beach
I stayed and dived with Asia divers. They are located on Laguna beach. The El Galleon resort is nice (budget rooms $50/night) & has a very good/cheap restaurant, a good bar (The point) & a small pool. My budget room had a safe, fan, & fridge. There is free wifi. The dive op is very well organised, with excellent facilities (hot face towels after cold dives!), good boats and good rinse/storage facilities. Dives were $30. I stayed 6 nights and done 2 dives (weather & a back injury limited my diving). PG was quiet; our boat generally had 4-6 divers. Unfortunately the weather was mixed, windy, overcast, 2 sunny days. My visit was early in the season. March- May would appear to be the best months for diving in the Philippines. The water was really cold at 24-25 C. Viss was ok, around 10-15m.

Sites visited were Small Laguna (Ok), Alma Jane.(boring)

Highlights – Nudis, displaying Effrin Reyes like skills on the Big apple pool tables
1. . A small Nudi

I got the El Galleon resort to apply for my visa extension to extend my visa from 21 days to 59 days. The process was very simple. I gave the staff my passport & 3225 Php and they done the rest. I got my extension within 2 days.

Summary
PG is excellent value for money for a sociable, easy dive holiday. Diving from $30, good selection of food $5, beer $1. Cheap accom is also available. Perhaps not the best place to dive if you are travelling a long distance for a short dive vacation & want to concentrate on quality diving, but a very good choice to chill & do some decent diving. There are a lot of dive shops where you can buy dive gear (I managed to get a new strap for my dive computer).
The diving is ok. There are some nice reefs and always small stuff to see. This was my second visit to PG and it was more enjoyable than my first visit. I would definitely recommend Asia divers/El Galleon.

Anilao

After 6 nights in PG I got the boat from Sabang beach back to Bantagas pier. I then took a tricycle (800 php) to Anilao. I stayed with Club Ocellaris ($145/day for accom, meals & 4 boat dives) for 3 nights. Anilao is very different to PG. The resorts are spread out and generally you have to eat at the place you stay. Although Club Ocellaris is expensive, it was a similar price to a few other dive Ops I was considering (based on being a single diver). The resort is quite nice. Simple clean accom. My small room was right above the water. There is free wifi. The food was very nice. The staff & boatmen done a great job. Dive guide was an excellent spotter. There are 4 dives a day, all boat dives. Two boat dives before lunch. Then 2 dives after 3 pm. The last dive was always a night dive. You had a lot of freedom while diving. The guide did not expect you to follow him; you could do your own thing.
Weather was mixed. Sunny, overcast and windy.
Water temp was 25 C. This was really cold doing 4 dives a day. I was thankful I had a wind proof jacket during the surface intervals. Viss was around 10m. The dive sites are spread out along the coastline. Some sites were 30+ mins away. The resort does not accept credit cards.

The Diving.
Excellent!!!!
I done 11 dives. Sites visited Koala, Basura, Mainit, Kirbys, Mato Pt, Twin rocks, Apols rock, Beatrice, Sombrero Batok.

The diving is FANTASTIC. There was so much stuff to see. Lots of Nudis.
Great muck diving, great slopes, colourful walls, nice reefs. This is one of the best places I have ever been to in terms of macro. Simply brilliant.
Highlights from the first 20 minutes of my first dive at Anilao at Koala dive site.
2 Porcelain crabs, 4-5 Nudis, Octopus, Small moray eel, pigmy sea horse, whale shark (well the tail of a whale shark. There was a lot of plankton in the water.)

1. Giant Frogfish

2. Clownfish

A small selection of other highlights , 3 Hairy frogfish, mantis shrimp with eggs, ghost pipefish, several nudis that I have not seen before, a huge frogfish.
3. Hairy frogfish

However the main highlight was seeing a shaded batfish:D. (The only item on my “Want to see list&#8221:wink:.

4. Shaded Batfish

Summary

Anilao was really great. Every dive was very good to excellent. I highly recommend a visit here especially if you like small stuff. Don’t think I would return to Club Ocellaris. No complaints & I do not want to put people off the place. I am not a big fan of night dives. Dinner was served at 9.30 ish. I prob should have stayed at Planet dive as 2 boat dives per day & Twin rock shore dives would have been sufficient. Twin rocks really rocks!
Club O is popular with photo pros/serious photographers. (I was disappointed to find various containers/sample jars containing Nudis at the resort after every couple of dives.)

I was very happy with my visit to Anilao, just a shame it was so cold. I will definitely return to Anilao. IMHO some of the best diving in S E Asia.

I took a tricycle from Anilao to Batangas (600 Php), then a bus to Manila (175 Php). I stayed a couple of nights in Manila at the City state tower hotel (1750 Php). Hotel is cheap & in a decent location.

Last edited:
Coron

I really enjoy diving wrecks and have been lucky to have done some great wreck diving in the Red Sea, Chuuk & Vanuatu. I have read a lot of conflicting reports regarding diving Coron so I kept my expectations in check, expecting current and low viss.

I flew from Manila to Busuanga with Cebu Pacific (Return flight cost 4500 Php). I stayed and dived with Sea dive resort. They arranged a transfer from the airport for 150 Php.
Sea dive resort is located right on the pier in Coron town. My fan room (800 Php) was ok. As it’s a remote location facilities/food were poor. However the view is nice!

The weather was sunny, blue skies, a few clouds and a little wind. Water temp was 27-28 C.

The Diving
I done 8 dives over 3 days Two dives cost 2700 Php , nitrox was 350 Php per tank.. Generally the boat leaves at 9 am, returning approx 4-5 pm after two wreck dives (A 3rd reef dive is available). The dive sites are 44-90 minutes away from Coron town. The boat was a large bangka and it was a pleasant journey to the dive sites. The water was calm and the views are great.

The Viss is Coron is really bad. Generally 6-12 m , sometimes worse inside the wrecks as they are very silty. Unfortunately the wrecks have been plundered and there are hardly any artefacts to see ( I did not see any, maybe I need a better torch!). During our 1st dive someone was in the engine room hammering away with a big rock to try to free some sort of wheel. One of the dive guides also found and took an old lamp/light.

Photography is really difficult in Coron due to the silt, viss, depth, short btm times, my crappy skills etc etc.

Irako (Refrigeration shp Length- 147m)
This is a deep dive. EAN 28%. Max depth 37.5m. Penetration through anchor room to engine room. Very small entry hole. Viss inside was bad. Not much natural light. Not much to see. King posts. Btm time approx 20 mins.

Olympia Maru (Cargo Ship Length 110m)
Shallow dive. EAN 36%. Max depth 25m. Easy penetration through holds, engine room. This was a good dive. Lots of natural light/exit points. The viss inside was very good. 2 large boilers in the engine room. Also nice coral growth, nudi, crocodile fish. Btm time approx 40 mins.

Akitsushima (Sea plane tender Length 127m)
Deepish Dive. EAN 33%. Max depth 34 m. Excellent dive. Easy penetration. Great long swim through. Ok viss. AA guns. 1 amo round. Perhaps the best dive.Approx btm time 27 mins.

Taiei Maru (Oil tanker- Length 160m)
Shallow dive. EAN 36.5% . Max depth 25.8 m. Medium current along deck. Easy penetration. Some interesting areas with good natural light. This wreck is huge. Several nudis on the wreck. Crocodile fish near mooring line. Approx btm time 40 mins.

Lusong Gunboat
Shallow dive. Air. 3rd dive of the day, max depth 10.7 m. Reef and a small wreck that has been completely stripped.

Kogyo Maru (Cargo Ship Length 134m)
EAN 33%. Max depth 30 m. Good wreck. Bulldozer ,engine room,bridge. Easy penetration.

Tangat (Cargo Ship Length 140m)
EAN 33%. Max depth 28m. Really bad viss. Silty.Easy penetration into cargo holds.

BarracudaLake
Really interesting dive and definitely worth doing. 29 C then 36 C at 15m. A few small fish, cleaner shrimp. Nice viss. It is a short but tricky climb to enter the lake.

See link for more Coron photos & movies.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevin_ella/sets/72157623325842840/

Summary
Despite the poor viss and the lack to stuff to see inside the wrecks I really enjoyed diving Coron. Penetrating old/dark WWII wrecks is always good fun. My stay of 5 nights was about right (3 dive days). There are very few places where you can see WWII wrecks in such a beautiful setting as Coron at such a great price. I would recommend a visit here and would consider a repeat visit. Just don’t expect clear water. Seadive were a good dive Op and always tried to split the experienced divers from the backpack divers. The experienced group always went 1st to ensure the wreck was not silted up by the other groups. I would happily dive with them again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next stop Cabilao, Panglao, Malapascua, Donsol, Boracay

(Tip- Anyone travelling to the Philippines from the UK should let their bank know. I have had problems using all 3 of my ATM cards over here).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions
(1. I would appreciate any tips for cheapish accom in Boracay (I will not be diving there)

Last edited:
Water was really cold...:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: That's one of the funniest things I've read....:rofl3: :D

Diving OK in PG? :shocked2::shocked2: I have to disagree with that one (although it is your oppinion and I respect that...). You didn't exactly do the best sites there... :depressed: Although I personally enjoy the AJ: there is a lot of life on that wreck if you take the time to search for it...

It,s unfortunate you didn,t make it to Canyons, Sinandigan, Hole in the wall, West escarceo, Monkey beach, Verde Island...
You can pretty much find most of what is in Anilao if you know where to look (have a good guide).

Anyways, you seem to have had a good time and that's what's important! And thanks for sharing a report!:coffee::coffee:

Trip Report Part 1- PG, Anilao, Coron, Jan 2010

PG
The water was really cold at 24-25 C.

The diving is ok. There are some nice reefs and always small stuff to see. QUOTE]

Codman,
I have been to PG twice. 1st time i done most of the sites you listed (except Verde Isl & Sinandigan).My best dive in PG was W.Escarceo.

Anything below 25 C ,i stay onshore!!!!:D

Bwaahaaahaa...:rofl3: Imagine, where I live, max water temps in mid summer are 19ºC!!!! :D You wouldn't do much diving here... Then again... I don't do much diving here!!!!!:shocked2::shocked2::D

Well, it all comes down to personal preference I guess and you liek what you like...:coffee::coffee: Personally, War wrecks don't have much interest for me, so I quess that's a good example.

Thanks again Kev for sharing your trip!:coffee:

Codman,
I have been to PG twice. 1st time i done most of the sites you listed (except Verde Isl & Sinandigan).My best dive in PG was W.Escarceo.

Anything below 25 C ,i stay onshore!!!!:D

Always nice reading your trip reports Kev. That's a great shaded batfish pic, but I love the coron pics the best. :)

I'll be checking out the northern and eastern wrecks (Kyokuzan Maru, Nanshin Maru) next time I head back to Coron. I've heard the viz is a lot better there, although a bit further to travel to.

Looking forward to part II!

Thanks for the great report and pictures! I especially loved the shaded batfish. Continues to whet my appetite for an extended stay in the PI!

Nice report Kev. do tell us more about why they have nudis in bottles there? what were they doing with the nudis? for photogs to shoot topside or for "safekeeping"?

Nice report Kev. do tell us more about why they have nudis in bottles there? what were they doing with the nudis? for photogs to shoot topside or for "safekeeping"?
Bill mentioned the same thing in his Anilao trip report, he was told that it was an ongoing University of the Philippines study. Iris and Van never heard of such study.

Thanks for the trip report, Kev.

Back
Top Bottom