Ratio deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright, I've never shared this publicly before now, but I might as well rather than sit on it. It's a little more user friendly than Kevin's, especially for a brief educational glance at RD-generated schedules.

But I'll first plagiarize Adam:
I highly suggest a good decompression course before attempting any of this, as the consequences of botching it can be quite severe (nerve damage, paralysis, death, etc).
As well as echo my own disclaimer:
This is all theory, I don't warrant any of the data, I acknowledge that there are errors without without disclosing what they are, and I stress if you don't understand the computations (which you can't since I've hidden them) that you not use them for anything other that satisfying your own curiosity.

I made it with 2003. I don't know about <=Office XP, it doesn't seem to function properly in Excel 2007, and I don't know about >Office 2007.

72291d1266512795-ratio-deco-1.png

72292d1266512804-ratio-deco-2.png

Attachments

• T2 Planner v2.5.5.xls
    90.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 1.png
    1.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 365
  • 2.png
    2.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
However, I do reshape the ascent curve to one that favors more time at the gas switch stops.

So are you adding a few minutes at the 70, 60 ft stops on every dive? Do you lessen the deeper stops in order to get to 70 ft quicker?

So you don't push the gradient more by coming quicker to 70 ft?

If you take the UTD class on Ratio Deco, can you apply that to future UTD certs? Just curious.

No it doesn't apply to future UTD certs, its just a book class. The course is for someone who has been deco trained by another agency to learn about a topic they might want to know more about.

While UTD courses have book stuff, they are about diving so there's little to apply towards some future course. Excpet maybe that you'll be able to read over that portion of the materials a little faster.

Ratio deco is really just about knowing what deco you need to do and how to adjust it up or down (e.g.) by 5mins BT or 10ft etc. At the most basic level if you are doing the same 150ft or 190ft dive multiple times why would you even need to have a plan? You "know" the deco you need to do (assuming you get out feeling ok etc). RD gives you a baseline to begin to know the deco for a given dive (just like any other method). Its adaptable because it gives you some rules for changing from a 190ft dive to a 180ft dive without having to break out a computer or complicated tables.

Up to 200ft its fairly straightforwardm it gets increasingly complicated below ~220ft. It extends out to sauration depths/times but only a couple people are doing those dives.

Don't push the gradient coming up to 70ft. Everyone is bubbling, the worst place to form a bubble is deep cause it will grow as you ascend and potentially cause all sorts of problems. We only push the gradient when decoing on backgas (rare) because there's no other way to offgas then.

You add time to the 70ft stop from the 40-50ft stops which in the RD universe are less effective. The reality is that you are really just crediting yourself deco at 70-60ft and then get to move past 50-40ft because you've done enough time deeper already.

no
deeper in the decompression isn't where I want to be pushing things. shaving time off the middle of the 70 (or whatever) segment makes more sense to me. before the switch I'd want to sit for a while to keep bubble size down and offgassing into those bubbles more efficient.
buhlmann typically rushes you shallow fast enough as it is IMO. we'll start driving the gradient more towards the 30' stop, which we lengthen...

If you take the UTD class on Ratio Deco, can you apply that to future UTD certs? Just curious.

If you are asking if taking RD class will grant you discount when signing up for other UTD courses the answer is no.

RD is also not a prerequisite for any of other UTD classes. At every certification level RD is explained adequately to that level. RD class is strictly about deco and goes across all levels.

No it doesn't apply to future UTD certs, its just a book class. T

If you are asking if taking RD class will grant you discount when signing up for other UTD courses the answer is no.

RD is also not a prerequisite for any of other UTD classes. At every certification level RD is explained adequately to that level. RD class is strictly about deco and goes across all levels.

Thanks guys!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom