Please post your trip reports for Tubbataha 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I know it is still early but if anyone was on any of the transition trips that kicks off the Tubbataha Season, please post. Am booking for holy week and am hoping the weather and general conditions are favorable for a good trip.

Did see some posts from 2008 season that was not very encouraging though.

Since I will be taking my daughter with me, I was wondering how demanding the diving in general is at Tubbataha. My daughter is 14 and has been certified two years with around 50 dives under her belt. her buoyancy is very good for her number of dives.

Was just wondering if there should be any concerns as regards demanding conditions at Tubbataha.

Since I will be taking my daughter with me, I was wondering how demanding the diving in general is at Tubbataha. My daughter is 14 and has been certified two years with around 50 dives under her belt. her buoyancy is very good for her number of dives.

Was just wondering if there should be any concerns as regards demanding conditions at Tubbataha.

Sorry for intruding... But, you either have good buoyancy-control, or you don´t. The number of dives, or age is not important. Just make sure she is not overweighted...

I would love to go to Tubbataha myself, but it will probably not happen during my upcoming trip, as I have understood a liveaboard is the only option...

just dive during slack tide :)

and i recommend skipping Jessie Beasley if you're hesitant of your daughter's skills - currents were quite ripping when we dived that site.

13 Days to go and we'll be boarding the Stella Maris :yeahbaby:

I'll drop a quick report on this thread when we're back - should be on here a full week before Holy Week!

Karl

Sharing this trip report I received last night :

Subject: [tubbataha2010] our incident report/email
To: tubbataha2010@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, March 7, 2010, 1:54 PM

Last July 2009, we booked the Transition Trip 1 of the
Cruise Island Adventure, Inc. of SCUBAWORLD which is scheduled from March
5-March 12 departing from Anilao Pier and to Apo Reef, Cuyo Islands and finally
to Tubbataha for 7 days of diving.

We were scheduled to arrive at Apo Reef at around 9am but
come morning we were informed that Pacific Explorer 2 had engine problems and
that we are currently docked in the area of Mamburao to wait for another boat
that we can transfer to. Given
this situation we have lost a day of diving in Apo Reef.

When the Borneo Explorer arrived in Mamburao, we were again
informed that the Borneo Explorer had to tow the Pacific Explorer back to
Anilao and that from Anilao the Borneo Explorer will continue the Pacific
Explorer 2’s trip to Tubbataha. This is another day of diving loss but we were
still willing to push through with the Tubbataha trip despite getting less than
what we paid for.

When both ships arrived in Anilao we were again informed
that the management finally decided to cancel the trip to Tubbataha. This is without consulting us or giving
us any other option.

What We Want (If the World Were Perfect)

Full refund of the Tubbataha Transition Trip

Other expenses/Damages:

Bus
from Manila to Batangas

Loss
of income (due to days missed at work)

Airfare
from Shanghai, Vancouver, US, Davao to Manila

Airfare from Puerto Prinsesa to
Manila

Diving Insurance Purchased for
Tubbatha Trip

Extra Diving Classes Taken/Paid
for (Advanced Open Water, Rescue Diver Course, EFR Course) in preparation for
Tubbataha Trip

Sleepless nights

Anguish

And subsequently, this update:

Below is the story of our Tubbataha trip that never was...let this be a warning to those who are planning to dive with Expedition Fleet!
As of yesterday, the Management agreed to refund in full the cost of the cancelled trip or rebooking and nothing else, allowed us to stay at Outrigger for the night and provided us a van back to Manila.
Today as we all went to the CIA office, they released the money for those who refunded and accepted the rebooking of those who did, and finally agreed to also refund the Puerto Princesa-Manila tickets which will not be used anymore.
..this is after giving him our two cents worth...
My point is:
1) The Cruise Island Adventure/Expedition Fleet/Scuba World Management almost risked our lives by deploying a ship that is not fit to sail. Our unverified but reliable source informed us that one of its Engineers texted that it was not seaworthy.
Despite an unverified report, the fact that we had trouble 6 hours into sailing, means there is indeed something wrong with the ship. They initially told us it was some "bearing", but we found out it was the whole engine.
2) Why was it allowed to sail if indeed there was a problem with the engine? Who gave them the permit to sail?
Of course Management will not admit it. They claimed they even did a "test sail".
3) This raises the question on how sea worthy are the boats of CIA. Will I go back to Tubbataha? YES I will...but definitely not with CIA or any of Mr. Wee's boats again!
This is a classic lousy crisis management handling. We booked the whole boat in June 2009, fully paid by Jan 2010. Everyone, including those who flew in from other countries literally re-arranged our lives to go on this trip. Getting a 7-day leave is no joke to some. The least we could have expected was a much better and quicker response from Management.
EXPEDITION FLEET---NEVER AGAIN!!

Wow! That really sucks! After all the excitement building up for almost a year then to be let down like that.

Well, I am locked in since I already bought the air tickets to Puerto Princessa. Will be on the Oceanic Explorer Mar 31 to April 5. Keeping my fingers crossed that all will work out as planned and the seas will be cooperating when my turn comes.

I think the waiver they asked to be signed mentioned weather and acts of nature not being their responsibility. However, I believe there is negligence involved when it has to do with maintenance of the boat. Did they offer anything or did you guys have to make demands? I also seems to me they kinda have the market cornered with live aboards to Tubbataha. I may be mistaken, but I don't recall too many other operators offering trips to Tubbataha. Maybe two or three others at most.

Maybe others should post in their experiences with other operators to Tubbataha - good or bad reports are always helpful to know.

Woaw,that is really bad.

Unfortunately Exp boats seem to be the only major operator to visit Tubb.

I very nearly booked the 5-12th Transition trip this year on the Stella.
I decided against the trip, it is very expensive compared to diving elsewhere in the Phil & their boats do not have a great reputation for Tubbatha .

Back
Top Bottom