Wes Skiles death - July 21, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueWaterDiving

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This is a very sad day.
Wes has passed away during a photo shoot for National Geographic in West Palm. The incident occurred while he was in the water.

Such a stunning loss to the dive community in so many ways.

Here is the latest information but details are still very sketchy. Will continue to update as more become available.

News stories:

Wes Skiles Death

Nat Geo freelance photographer dies off West Palm Beach

Nat Geo Statement

General Info:

Location reported as diving off the Boynton Inlet
Diving from a private boat with 2 other divers
Wes surfaced to get more film.
He was found motionless at the bottom ~20 minutes later when the other divers started to ascend
Taken to a Palm Beach hospital where he was pronounced DOA.

Second hand info that is deemed reliable, but not yet confirmed:

Depth of the dive was ~75'
Wes was found at ~ 100 minutes
Was last seen alive at ~ 70 minutes
This was day 4 of diving
He was diving a Dive Rite Op2tima
The unit was not fitted with onboard bailout.
No off board bailout was carried

There have been conflicting reports on the CCR unit.

Some sources say this was a borrowed O2ptima and that Wes had no prior formal training or experience with this unit.
Another source has told me that Wes was an O2ptima instructor and the unit was previously owned by him and he borrowed it back for this shoot.

I will update the information as I get confirmation and clarification on these points.

No word whether there was a problem with the unit or if lack of bailout played any part in the death, so lets please keep speculation on that to a minimum.

Last edited:
I tried to google the incident and nothing came up yet!?!?
Do we know anymore details yet?

I tried to google the incident and nothing came up yet!?!?
Do we know anymore details yet?
Nothing yet. Let's give it time, Wes literally wrote the book on accident analysis, so if it was diving related I'm sure we'll get details if any are relevant.

For now let's be patient and say a prayer for the family, and the community, there are big shoes to fill.

Hello everyone:

I haven't been very prolific at posting here but as some of you know I'm a producer with National Geographic Television's Natural History Unit. Wes was working for us on a program tentatively called "Speed Kills" using high speed cameras to capture ultrafast predation. I was not personally involved with this film but many of my colleagues were, and have had the pleasure of meeting Wes a few times in relation to his work.

Here is I have heard at this point. It was that this was a relatively simple dive plan. The team was not in a cave; they were filming goliath groupers, I believe. Wes indicated the need to change tapes and began to surface solo. About 25 minutes later he was found at the bottom by another member of the team. Attempts to revive him on the boat failed.

Keep in mind that this is just what's buzzing around the office right now. Nothing is confirmed.
If I hear more -- and confirm anything -- I'll let you know.

Wes was a great man, a great diver, and a great champion of environmental awareness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom