Canon WP-V1 Housing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a link to a small clip (on Vimeo) in MTS (AVCHD) format at 1080i. The light was not pointed correcty it's pushed to far right), but I think it gives you some idea on the FOV with the UWL-04.

Overall I love the UWL-04. You can easily see how wide the FOV is. I will have to go and shoot some side-by-side comparrisons with the Ikelite W-20 and the UWL-04...

Note: As I was looking at the clips taken last night, I can see some definte vignetting at full wide. I'll have to shoot some myself so I can get a better idea of what/how much this affects the lens combo.

Did you tried to zoom with those lens ? With INON UWL-100 even slight zoom makes corners completely out of focus. What happens when you used UWL-04 ?

Thank you,

Michael

Michael,

I didn't get a chance to shoot my kit last night (a former student did it for me while Mike and I held an OW class).

I'll look at the corner focus very closely when I get a chance to do my own tests. For now, the results look superior to the Ikelite W-20 (which is very similar to the INON UWL-100 as near as I can tell).

Look forward to future results posted here or elsewhere in the forum...

Here is a link to a small clip (on Vimeo) in MTS (AVCHD) format at 1080i. The light was not pointed correcty it's pushed to far right), but I think it gives you some idea on the FOV with the UWL-04.

Overall I love the UWL-04. You can easily see how wide the FOV is. I will have to go and shoot some side-by-side comparrisons with the Ikelite W-20 and the UWL-04...

Note: As I was looking at the clips taken last night, I can see some definte vignetting at full wide. I'll have to shoot some myself so I can get a better idea of what/how much this affects the lens combo.

If you get a chance, connect your camcorder directly to an HDTV and play the raw clip. Curious to see if the vignette is still there or if it is decreased.

Lens looks real good. Next challenge is lighting and the filter. Lighting for wide angle is real tough. Getting lights wide enough and powerful enough for daytime WA shooting is a challenge. Most use a filter for daytime WA.

Some pix of the new rig...

1zzkwex.jpg

5oh5c9.jpg

If you get a chance, connect your camcorder directly to an HDTV and play the raw clip. Curious to see if the vignette is still there or if it is decreased.

Lens looks real good. Next challenge is lighting and the filter. Lighting for wide angle is real tough. Getting lights wide enough and powerful enough for daytime WA shooting is a challenge. Most use a filter for daytime WA.

Will do - but I agree... the vignette will still be there.

I'd love to try the magic filter(s). I wonder if there's a good way to rig that up where I can insert them/remove them as I wish while filming?

I think the Fisheye FIX LED1000DX are awesome - especially at the price ($599). I'm planning to add another - but I would be happy and could get by on just he one if I had to.

I'll be doing some work with this down in Tobago next week and I am planning to get back to the pool (by myself) to do some more critical comparrisons with the W-20...

Jim

what is the black stuff in the corners on your pool video ? is that the Camera reading the fish eye .. seems like alot of money for a Lens that gives you alot of vignette and roundnes to the Picture ... My Zeikos wide angle has none of what your getting in your video.. I cant see spending 600.00 on that set up and getting that kinda Picture from it... Im just trying to make some Observations of why that set up would be Useable , If your happy with that fish eye then thats whats important for you , and your purchase... not trying to Be a downer here, just trying to understand the final product of best wide angle and video quality

Last edited:
The Zeikos at $70 is a total steal. A great find.

Vignette is not a good thing, but when comparing W/A lenses, it's important to include sharpness and the angle of coverage in the equation. I don't know the specs on the lenses in question. The lens that slightly vignettes can be zoomed or cropped. Question is, after doing that, how does the sharpness and coverage compare to the Zeikos ? Is it worse, better ?

except for the picture stills , this whole dive was shot with the 70.00 wide angle zeikos lens

[youtubehq]1op79IfSiMg[/youtubehq]

what is the black stuff in the corners on your pool video ? is that the Camera reading the fish eye .. seems like alot of money for a Lens that gives you alot of vignette and roundnes to the Picture ... My Zeikos wide angle has none of what your getting in your video.. I cant see spending 600.00 on that set up and getting that kinda Picture from it... Im just trying to make some Observations of why that set up would be Useable , If your happy with that fish eye then thats whats important for you , and your purchase... not trying to Be a downer here, just trying to understand the final product of best wide angle and video quality

Your Zeikos has a net effective 23mm FOV - while the video you saw was a net effective 16mm FOV. Yes... the adapter does create a slight vignette which I would like to "fix"by replacing with a different adapter (or it can be zoomed out).

Regarding the "roundness"... it's a difference due to the wider angle FOV. If you wamt to elimintae that effect, just zoom out a bit.

I can't tell 100% for sure - but the Zeikos is soft around the edges (a quality I did not like about the Ikelite W-20). This is most pronounced in the closer shots. The dome port eliminates the softness completely - that was a significant goal (for me anyway).

As long as you love you lens - no biggie. Photography is an art form and you are the artist... go for what you like. For me - I like mine better...

The Zeikos gives impressive results considering it is not disigned for uw and is inexpensive. I wonder if every one of them is water tight or not? It seems to me the FOV is narrower than the DCL20. The vignetting on the UWL-04 at full wide is disappionting. It is obviously not ideal in this application. I called around looking for an adapter that would not give vignetting, and apparently none will cure this with the WP-V1/V2. There is another option- the Inon UFL-165AD (not the 100 with added dome). I have not found anyone locally with it in stock to try it out on the case. The cost is only $50 more than the UWL-04 ($450). Another consideration would be the weight of this lens underwater, if in fact it does work. Has anyone tried this setup?

My buoyancy fix for the DCL20 worked at 30' but compressed and pitched the balance slightly forward at 60'. Back to the drawing board....

Back
Top Bottom