Curacao Mushroom Forest and Blue Cave are highly recommended

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alashas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The well known dive site Mushroom Forest does not need a lot of introduction. It is consistently voted the #1 site on Curacao, and Sport Diver Magazine rates it as “one of the World’s Best Dives” http://www.sportdiver.com/travel_destination_dive_site.jsp?destinationID=11656&diveLocID=61 There is no doubt in my mind that Watamula is a more extraordinary site, but Mushroom Forest will probably tend to get the most votes as the best site on Curacao, simply because more dive shops dive it on a regular basis. Mushroom Forest is an outstanding dive and definitely worth doing.

We spent a fabulous week and half diving on Curacao in April and can not say enough good things about the comfortable 3 bedroom 2nd story apartment http://www.curacaosunshine.com/ in Westpunt. Our friendly hosts, David and Sunshine Livingston, also have a restaurant “Sol Food” on the first floor and very spacious patio on the weekends, and we ate 6 scrumptious meals with them. It is worth the drive from anywhere on the island to enjoy some of the best cuisine Curacao has to offer.

We did our boat dives and some of our shore dives with http://www.oceanencounterswest.com/ and give this dive shop our highest recommendation. Every person at the shop speaks at least 3 languages and they are very professional, courteous, safety conscious, friendly, and outstanding divers. They are also the furthest thing from a “cattle boat” dive operation. Their two boats have the capacity for 10 and 16 divers, and I do not believe we ever had more than 12 divers on either boat. Their location at Playa Kalki on the western end of the island is within 3 to 20 minutes of nearly 20 dive sites, and we spent most of our surface intervals at the shop, enjoying refreshments and discussing our dives. The shore dive site, "Alice in Wonderland" at Playa Kalki is one of the best sites on Curacao and persons who learn to dive with OEW will be diving on a very healthy, beautiful reef. In fact, my dive buddy, Ted, did his AOW with DM Andreas Kaufmann, and raves about the outstanding training and thorough introduction to diving he received from Andreas. Keep up the good work, OEW!

Mushroom Forest is a huge stand of various types of star coral and other varieties of coral on a sandy plateau. Over the decades, the base of the corals have been slowly eroded by waves, fish, sponges and clams, creating the appearance of huge mushrooms growing on the ocean floor. Most of the coral is in 40 to 60’ of water, so divers can get an hour or more on a single tank. The site can only be reached by boat and nearly every dive shop on Curacao dives it at least one or more times a week. There is a mooring ball approximately in the middle of the site, but there was just enough current the morning of April 5th that we dove it as a drift dive, which was a first at this site for DM Andreas.

Shortly after our descent, we swam onto and through the huge mushrooms:

292880086_rfLPx-L.jpg

292877145_eFKrE-L.jpg

292876912_AsniT-L.jpg

Some of the coral is more than 10’ in diameter:

292878648_UVsva-L.jpg

and others are quite a bit smaller:

292878258_NSKWS-L.jpg

There is also a variety of other coral and sponges:

292877598_5Dr9f-L.jpg

tube sponge:

292878905_v6yJD-L.jpg

barrel sponge:

292880042_cJBAy-L.jpg

and huge schools of fish:

292877019_tY5Uz-L.jpg

We saw lots of orange elephant ear sponge on virtually every dive in Curacao:

292877878_BpMDo-L.jpg

We saw this turtle toward the end of the dive:

292878964_JNaeP-L.jpg

Dive Master Andreas releasing the buoy to let Captain Tuki know that we are almost done:

292880114_TDZ3S-L.jpg

My dive buddy, Ted, on the left, and yours truly:

292880115_WXnbJ-L.jpg

After our first dive at Rediho and before diving Mushroom Forest, we did part of our surface interval as a snorkel at Blue Cave. I understand that some divers finish their dive at Mushroom Forest inside the cave. The ceiling is around 20’ above the water and there is air inside. The water is around 8’ deep and less, and the cave can comfortably hold a half dozen or more persons:

292877414_L9Tsp-L.jpg

There was a lot of particulate in the water and I was less than happy with the photos inside the cave:

292876469_JeP5f-L.jpg

292876551_QuBpy-L.jpg

You can see more photos of Mushroom Forest here:
http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/gallery/4902045_5JMMr#292876614_qGAHJ

safe diving, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos. I have a trip to Curacao in July with my LDS. I will plan on getting to the Mushroom Forest for sure! Sol Food sounds like a wonderful place, too!

Yes, wonderful picts. Thanks for sharing. I could never master underwater photography. I dove the Alice in Wonderland 1 1/2 months ago - this was the best dive I have ever dove. We did Watamula as well. I did the tug boat too. Hands down, do Alice in Wonderland. I'm going back to Curacao next week (part of the downfalls of working for an international company - NOT!) Sucks to be me, right? Anyway, I plan on doing the Mushroom Forest (never got to last time).

Again, thanks for thos pictures. I HIGHLY recommend Ocean Encounters. Andreas was my dive master too. I was going to go with the Dive Bus, but for whatever reason, I didn't. So glad I took the car to Westpunt and dove with Ocean Encounters. Thanks guys for making it an unforgettible trip!

Back
Top Bottom