Leaving Bonaire--a few remarks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're off tomorrow on the early Continental flight after 2 wonderful weeks in Bonaire. We racked up 50 dives and did a 1/2 day photo refresher course with Tim at Fish Eye Photo. It amazes me how spending a few hours with Tim improves my husband's photos so much. :blinking:

I've done pretty extensive trip reports in the past, so won't bother with another one here, however will remark about a few new things.

Probably the biggest and best surprise was the incredible number of fish and marine life on the reefs. We saw fish in every phase of growth, healthy reef systems, including some good sized grouper on most dives. We also saw a lot of eels which was great after last year's eel killing disease, including 3 sightings of very LARGE green morays. :D For "rareish" creatures (at least for us), we saw our first Bonaire Nudibranchs(5), 2 Leopard Flatworms, 2 Mantis Shrimp, an unidentified slug/worm/nudi (hopefully I'll ID it when I get home), 4 Midnight Parrotfish, and more different types of Blennies than I remember ever seeing. There were also a few fish I've never noticed before that I'll look up in my Humann Deloach books too.

We did all shore diving, so missed seeing seahorses or frogfish, though we know the DMs were talking about finding a new seahorse and the boats were taking divers daily to those sites with seahorses. Perhaps our regular trips to Hawaii where we see Frogfish nearly daily, and just having got back from Roatan where we saw many, many Seahorses kept us from making a big effort to do any boat diving.

We WILL definitely return to Bonaire and would definitely stay at Den Laman again. We really enjoy the 1-bedroom ocean front room where Klein is always within sight and we can almost literally roll out of bed into the water every day. :D:wink:

I'm glad you had a great time. Our next trip is Febuary or March. I can't wait. I hope you post some pictures.

yeah, we're STILL waiting on our trip March 26 - April 2. Sounds like you had a great time. 50 dives!! Thats 2x what we currently have. I hope to double our dive count while there.

We leave today! Flying out of Houston (coming from Phoenix) tonight. What were the water temps?

Glad to hear about the eels; a few years back a buddy & I saw a very large green moray on the sea floor at one end of the Hilma Hooker, and I'd like to see more.

I don't know whether I've seen a midnight parrot fish or not; in March '10 I got to see a couple of rainbow parrot fish that looked scary big to me (since one was swimming along with mouth open, possibly a tad agitated looking), along shore as we were swimming to exit at Oil Slick Leap.

Richard.

It's a beautiful island, we just spent two weeks there and will be going back late June 2011. Read our blog of the adventures we enjoyed there! Hope to see some of you when we go!

In our top 5 dive locations! Our friends are going in August, wish we were going too;( I agree the Seahorse population has exploded in Roatan in the last 5 years:wink: There has been a Red Frogfish at Helma Hooker.....

Thanks for sharing your observations.
It is good to hear your description of the marine life and reef health.
Looking forward to my next opportunity to visit Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom